Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: automount problems

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    53

    automount problems

    Hi,

    I want to use the Knoppix CD as a rescue tool for crashed window$ machines, usually older models. I therefore need to use the 'knoppix 2' option at bootup to use the minimum of memory and ressources and boot at runlevel 2 (single user - no GUI). I have only one problem. When knoppix boots-up the automount does not immediately boot up the hard disks. In runlevel five with KDE up and running I only click on "hda1' and the disk is mounted on /mnt. However, it needs this click to happen. Now how do I do this in runlevel 2?!

    Interestinlgy (and confusingly) the floppy drive is immediately mounted at runlevel 2. Right after boot-up I just do 'cd /mnt/floppy' and I have access to it all. That does not work with 'cd /mnt/hda1" which exists, but is empty.

    Any ideas why?

    I really don't like the automount thing anyway (that's about the ONLY thing which does work better with Window$ IMHO). Can I disable it and mount disks manually?

    Thanks for any help!

    Andrei

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: automount problems

    Quote Originally Posted by andrei
    Can I disable it and mount disks manually?

    Thanks for any help!

    Andrei
    Indeed you can.

    mount /dev/hd?? /mountpoint

    You can mount a block device to any mount point (as long as said mount point exists of course) Just cd into /mnt and have a look at the mount points automatically created by Knoppix. If you need mount points just make them like so:

    mkdir /mnt/hda1

    So......assuming the mount point /dev/hda1 exists all you need to do is:

    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 and it will be there.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    53
    Yep!

    Works fine. problems solved. thanks!

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    53
    while I am on the topic:
    do you know what the hardware minima (CD-drive speeds, RAM, proc) are for running knoppix 3.2 on runlevel 2?
    thanks!

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    53
    thanks. A Linux magazine I recently read wrote that you need a CD-drive faster then 24x but I suppose they were referring to the full KDE runlevel 5. any such limits for runlevel 2?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by andrei
    thanks. A Linux magazine I recently read wrote that you need a CD-drive faster then 24x
    bah! my 8x runs kde fine.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2

    Re: automount problems

    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Quote Originally Posted by andrei
    Can I disable it and mount disks manually?

    Thanks for any help!

    Andrei
    Indeed you can.

    mount /dev/hd?? /mountpoint

    You can mount a block device to any mount point (as long as said mount point exists of course) Just cd into /mnt and have a look at the mount points automatically created by Knoppix. If you need mount points just make them like so:

    mkdir /mnt/hda1

    So......assuming the mount point /dev/hda1 exists all you need to do is:

    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 and it will be there.
    I'm new to this and have been trying to do this for days. I mounted it like this and it works fine. I saved a link to my desktop and everything was working very well. I rebooted and now it doesn't work anymore without remounting it again. How do I set it to mount automatically?

Similar Threads

  1. Getting floppy automount to work
    By Halcyon-X12 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-30-2004, 12:39 AM
  2. Getting floppy automount to work
    By Halcyon-X12 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-03-2004, 07:28 AM
  3. Automount symlinks/Captive
    By jhnphm in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-22-2004, 08:05 AM
  4. Floppy automount problems
    By PiotrS in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-24-2004, 07:46 AM
  5. Automount
    By Tech1 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-31-2003, 04:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$119.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC E2052-AA  AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap picture

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap

$749.99



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage picture

DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage

$79.99



VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL picture

VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL

$169.00



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working picture

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working

$111.00