-
Printing Error messages
Hi,
I tried yesterday to install the LinuxTag Knoppix-DVD on a friends computer. I had to read and "set -vx" the knoppix-install script, to understand that the installer checks swap partions and root partions...
I wish you would print out error messages, when the return code of a function is not 0 and the installation process loops...
Another question:
How large should the root partition be for a DVD install?
Thanks,
Rainer
-
Senior Member
registered user
Well a DVD holds about 4.4G worth of software so.....that's a good indication of size I'd say. If you boot into GUI and run the script from there you can copy and paste error messages. What you've posted rings no bells with me.
I wonder if it would be possible to send me an .iso of the Linuxtag dvd or let me dl it so I can roast a few copies for those of us not fortunate enough to make it to Linuxtag? Thanks.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Oh, please! I know of one UK magazine editor who is desperate for one (so they can distrubute it)!
-

Originally Posted by
rickenbacherus
Well a DVD holds about 4.4G worth of software so.....that's a good indication of size I'd say. If you boot into GUI and run the script from there you can copy and paste error messages. What you've posted rings no bells with me.
[...]
You got me wrong....
Pretty much at the beginning in the knoppix install script it says
while ! partions_ok_check; do
partition_hdd
done
(I could point in more detail, if the knoppix_install skript is somewhere on the net).
partions_ok_ckeck basically checks if a swap partition is there, if the root partition was found, and if it is large enough. If it fails, e.g. there is no swap partition, the user is in an infinite loop and does not understand why (except installer broken
Solution:
Print out: "Installation stopped, because there is no swap partition > 128 MB." and user hits ok button.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Quote "(I could point in more detail, if the knoppix_install skript is somewhere on the net)"
http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/installer/
-
In the function main(), there is:
while ! check_partition_ok;
do
menu_part
done
If check_partition_ok fails, the user sees always the menu_part Menu, i.e. the user thinks, the installation loops, i.e. it is broken.
the check_partition_ok function contains e.g.
SWAPPARTS=$(find_swap_partitions)
RC=$?
SWAPPARTS2=$(find_swap_partitions2)
[ $RC -eq 1 ] && return 1 # no, we must partition
I strongly recommend to add a msgbox telling the user why check_partition_ok failed.....then he can (in this example) add swap space in the next partition round and the installation continues...
Thanks,
Rainer
Similar Threads
-
By babelbrennt in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-21-2005, 11:00 PM
-
By sakiZ in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-12-2005, 02:28 AM
-
By Bones85 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-27-2004, 03:16 AM
-
By cqnc in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-19-2004, 04:43 PM
-
By Xeogears13 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-03-2003, 02:27 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$299.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$164.97

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$187.50

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00