Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Yet another mystery - cloop bug ?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    39

    Yet another mystery - cloop bug ?

    While remastering with a new kernel (2.4.22-pre7) I've hit a strange situation. Initrd's linuxrc starts running and gets stuck. I added -x to linuxrc, to see what its doing when it gets stuck, and it turned out to be always in the same place, during some cp command. Note that its not the first cp command. Files have already been read from the mounted cloop before it got stuck.

    I tried replacing the cloop'ed image with an uncompressed iso image and have linuxrc attach it to /dev/loop2 and mount it instead of using cloop, and everything works, so the problem is with cloop. It was the only thing different between the two boots.

    I tested the cloop'ed image with the same cloop.o module under the same kernel but not from initrd, and the same cp command works fine. I even tar'ed the whole filesystem from it just to make sure there are no errors. Everything seems fine.

    Its a strange bug that only happens when cloop is used for the actual /KNOPPIX during boot. When /KNOPPIX is the same image, uncompressed, and cloop is later attached and mounted as /mnt/test, cloop image is identical to the mounted /KNOPPIX.

    By the way, if I'm trying to execute something from /KNOPPIX at some point before this cp, it gets stuck on exec. (I tried to exec strace from the mounted cloop device to trace whats going on).

    I'm using the latest cloop version, 0.68, compiled under kernel 2.4.22-pre7.

    Any suggestions on how to debug it ?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    not an easy task. This sounds similar with what I have encountered with the 1.X NTFS driver. Only when putting together, it doesn't work but tracking down where it went wrong is tough. I believe only the guys on the kernel list can help.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-12-2005, 12:12 AM
  2. HFS Plus mystery
    By eon in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-05-2004, 05:54 PM
  3. Mystery of m23
    By Harry Kuhman in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-25-2004, 04:41 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-19-2004, 07:18 PM
  5. KDE mystery
    By mack in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-13-2003, 03:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$119.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC E2052-AA  AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap picture

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap

$749.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation

$79.95



DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage picture

DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage

$79.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working picture

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working

$111.00