Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: [SOLVED] Can I get rid of Init at boot?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5

    [SOLVED] Can I get rid of Init at boot?

    hello,
    I got knoppix installed on my comp for about 2 months, and I'm regularly upgrading my programs , installing new ones and so on. But I still have a problem: I can't get ALSA driver to work (i815 chipset), OSS works but lacks functionalities; altough I know it HAS to work! I think it has to do with knoppix.

    I'm thinking to get rid of everything that has to do with the knoppix-hdinstall, and go to a standard debian distribution. And I'm wondering what is the use of the init prog (/sbin/init), can I get rid of it and how? I see it's run at boot with linux-2.4.20-xfs as comment when I'm currently using kernel 21!

    By the way knoppix is an excellent dist for beginners, I recommended it to a lot of my friends, I won't go back to XP.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5
    Damn, 33 hits and not a single answer!

    Are there any deveopper that could help me?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Can I get rid of Init at boot?

    --D00d, R j00 1n7h4n3 in the m3mbr4n3? Init starts *everything* in the system!!

    From the ' man init ' page:
    Code:
    DESCRIPTION
       Init
           Init  is  the  parent  of all processes.  Its primary role is to create
           processes from a script stored in  the  file  /etc/inittab  (see  init-
           tab(5)).   This file usually has entries which cause init to spawn get-
           tys on each line that users can log in.  It  also  controls  autonomous
           processes required by any particular system.
    --And why would you want to backlevel to a "standard" Debian dist, is something not
    working right? Knoppix is a *superset* of regular Debian. I once tried installing Woody from CD, and let me tell you I practically wept for joy when I discovered Knoppix. Everything "just works."

    --Now as for alsa... They broke sound for my SiS (Trident) chipset in kernel 2.4.21, which is why I've backleveled to 2.4.20 (yes, even alsa broke for 21.) You might try going back to 2.4.20 and see if alsa works there.

    (yes, I know, not my usual posting style, but I haven't had breakfast yet and I'm in a wacky mood.)

    Quote Originally Posted by FoGia
    hello,
    I got knoppix installed on my comp for about 2 months, and I'm regularly upgrading my programs , installing new ones and so on. But I still have a problem: I can't get ALSA driver to work (i815 chipset), OSS works but lacks functionalities; altough I know it HAS to work! I think it has to do with knoppix.

    I'm thinking to get rid of everything that has to do with the knoppix-hdinstall, and go to a standard debian distribution. And I'm wondering what is the use of the init prog (/sbin/init), can I get rid of it and how? I see it's run at boot with linux-2.4.20-xfs as comment when I'm currently using kernel 21!

    By the way knoppix is an excellent dist for beginners, I recommended it to a lot of my friends, I won't go back to XP.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5
    Well thanks a lot, but the answer wasn't so obvious since you're the only one that posted.

    I'll try it, or wait for 2.6 to come out.

    Thanks

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5
    I finally resolved my ALSA problem.

    I had to go to Sid and a dist-upgrade later I had a working sound card. However sound was very bad, noisy, it finally went away when I replaced libesd0-alsa by libesd0 (I uninstalled KDE for going to Gnome).

    Now it works perfectly, but I still have error messages at boot when an auto-detection tool tries to load the i810_audio modules -OSS driver of my chipset- what I don't want him to do, in fact it's not even compiled with the kernel.

    Anyone knows how I could get rid of that autodetect tool?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    Check /etc/modules and /etc/discover.conf and see if it's in there.

    --I was wondering how you were doing.

    Quote Originally Posted by FoGia
    I finally resolved my ALSA problem.

    I had to go to Sid and a dist-upgrade later I had a working sound card. However sound was very bad, noisy, it finally went away when I replaced libesd0-alsa by libesd0 (I uninstalled KDE for going to Gnome).

    Now it works perfectly, but I still have error messages at boot when an auto-detection tool tries to load the i810_audio modules -OSS driver of my chipset- what I don't want him to do, in fact it's not even compiled with the kernel.

    Anyone knows how I could get rid of that autodetect tool?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5
    yeah that's it discover.conf!
    Thanks, error messages are gone now!

    Btw do u know which script launches discover? It's not a very sharp tool, it identificated my DVD player as SCSI when it's IDE and goes wrong for some other modules, I'd like to simply remove it since it's of no use anymore.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --On mine, it's:
    /etc/rcS.d/S36discover

    ' find /etc -name *discover* '

    --The rcS.d files are run from /etc/inittab before runlevel 5 (/etc/rc5.d)

    Quote Originally Posted by FoGia
    yeah that's it discover.conf!
    Thanks, error messages are gone now!

    Btw do u know which script launches discover? It's not a very sharp tool, it identificated my DVD player as SCSI when it's IDE and goes wrong for some other modules, I'd like to simply remove it since it's of no use anymore.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2004, 11:36 AM
  2. INIT PANIC error hangup at boot
    By motthe3rd in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 07:26 PM
  3. boot in X as root - solved
    By Alexxx in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 11:07 AM
  4. Init script for LISa on boot
    By shivva in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-10-2003, 02:50 AM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-18-2003, 06:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP

CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP "Lot of 4” SFP-10G-SR

$47.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



Lot of 2 Cisco 10-3107-01 SFP-10G-LR-S S-Class SFP+ 10G LR SMF LC Transceiver picture

Lot of 2 Cisco 10-3107-01 SFP-10G-LR-S S-Class SFP+ 10G LR SMF LC Transceiver

$59.95



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver

$20.70