Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Problems mounting ext2 r/w

  1. #1

    Problems mounting ext2 r/w

    I have a Debian system with a ext2 fs that has a VERY bad xwindows display.
    Knoppix on the other hand has a perfect xwindows display.
    I wanted to copy my config-4 file to the debian partition and merge some of it into my conifg-4 file.

    I right clicked on the partition and did a 'change read/write mode' but still cannot write to that partition!

    This is driving me crazy because it works perfectly on fat32 drives and you would think that it would work on ext2 on a debian system of all things!!!

    Please help

    James Ray Kenney

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    100
    All I do for ext2,3 and riserfs is to get root and say mount /dev/hdax

    I know its already mounted read only but I dont remount or anything and that works fine for me.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    I have never had a problem mounting the partition r/w from the command line also perhaps you should try that method as Tech2k suggests above to add one more thing if all else fails and you can't mount the partition for some strange reason then copy the Knoppix XF86Config-4 file to a floppy and then boot your normal install and get the file from the disk.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech2k
    All I do for ext2,3 and riserfs is to get root and say mount /dev/hdax

    I know its already mounted read only but I dont remount or anything and that works fine for me.
    I did a mount /dev/hda1 and it said that is was already mounted.
    So I did a umount /dev/hda1 and then a mount /dev/hda1
    tried to create a file in /etc and was told that access was denied.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    202
    try
    knoppix single (at boot time)
    startx

    now you are root and everything is easy for roots

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    100
    Mabey try "umount /dev/hdax" first or for ext2 try
    "mount -t ext2 -o remount,rw /dev/hdax /mnt/hdax"

    like I said..as root i just say mount /dev/hdax and its fine here.All my partitions are primary mabey if your is logical that makes a differiance?Just a guess.

Similar Threads

  1. NFS mounting problems!!!!
    By kuser123 in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-27-2004, 11:49 PM
  2. NTFS mounting problems
    By Don_PhrostByte in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-23-2004, 06:14 PM
  3. Ipod Mounting Problems
    By ryanlines in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-11-2004, 11:32 PM
  4. mounting problems
    By NASAce in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-25-2003, 09:04 PM
  5. Mounting problems in an HD Install
    By pummer in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-16-2003, 07:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HPE DL385 Gen10 Plus 2x EPYC 7513 1024GB DDR4 RAM 6x 6.4TB 2x 800G SAS 100G RAID picture

HPE DL385 Gen10 Plus 2x EPYC 7513 1024GB DDR4 RAM 6x 6.4TB 2x 800G SAS 100G RAID

$54229.00



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3 picture

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3

$219.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00