Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: chroot problem

  1. #1

    chroot problem

    OK I am trying to make my own knoppix CD, I followed the wiki tutorial for how to remaster it to the letter, but first of all when I copy the source from the CD, it gives me all these errors about symbolic links and stuff, I jsut ignore them because Stuff gets copied anyways.

    When I go to chroot the knoppix source directory, It gives me an error

    "chroot:/bin/bash: No such file or directory"

    I have checked and both in my knoppix source directory and my knoppix directory bash exists so I am quite confused.

    Any help would be appreciated

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Santa Cruz, California, USA
    Posts
    27

    Re: chroot problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf_Grey_
    When I go to chroot the knoppix source directory, It gives me an error

    "chroot:/bin/bash: No such file or directory"

    I have checked and both in my knoppix source directory and my knoppix directory bash exists so I am quite confused.

    Any help would be appreciated
    I think maybe you left out one of the command-line switches. I've done it too. You should get an error "does not comply with iso9660" or something, then you know it is working right

  3. #3

    command line switches

    What do you mean with command line switches?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6

    Re: command line switches

    Quote Originally Posted by kevinonknoppix
    What do you mean with command line switches?
    A command line switch (also known as a flag switch) is an extra modifier to be given to the command you are running.

    Example: mount -t vfat /dev/hdb1 /cdrive -o ro
    Okay, in the example I used two switches, -t and -o. In this case -t means 'filesystem Type' and it's followed by the filesystem I am mounting. The '-o' stands for option and I am requesting that the filesystem be mounted 'read only'.

    try using the man pages to learn more about a given command.
    example: man mount (to get the manual pages for mount).

    Good luck!

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    17

    missing files?

    After making the mistake myself, I learned that /bin/bash must exsist in the directory you're chrooting into. It doesn't matter if it exsists in your regular directory. So, check to make sure /bin/bash is present in the directory your chrooting into......

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8

    Re: chroot problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf_Grey_
    ...but first of all when I copy the source from the CD, it gives me all these errors about symbolic links and stuf...,
    Did you use cp -pR to copy the KNOPPIX source?

Similar Threads

  1. chroot help
    By gursharnsingh in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 09:38 PM
  2. chroot problem. I looked for solution i cant find any.
    By estranged in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-13-2003, 10:54 PM
  3. Kde in chroot and OOo 1.1 installation
    By vi.tan.gr in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-29-2003, 07:53 AM
  4. To chroot or not to chroot
    By sminotti in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-07-2003, 07:46 PM
  5. chroot Name Res Fails
    By mmaki in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-08-2003, 06:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro CSE-732 Mid-Tower Server Chassis w/ Supermicro X10DRi 2x Xeon E5-2620 picture

Supermicro CSE-732 Mid-Tower Server Chassis w/ Supermicro X10DRi 2x Xeon E5-2620

$325.00



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



HP Proliant MicroServer HSTNS-5151 AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU @ 1.50GHz 16Gb RAM picture

HP Proliant MicroServer HSTNS-5151 AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU @ 1.50GHz 16Gb RAM

$174.99



Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD picture

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD

$635.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00