-
root password and saving config to floppy
I have two questions. I have the latest version of the Knoppix distribution (26/07/2003) and was wondering what the password for root is. I was trying to change some settings in the Control Panel and it asked me for the root password, but in the shell when I did "su - root" it didn't ask for a password.
Another question. I saved the Knoppix settings to a floppy (ext2 formatted) and it said that boot with either of these commands "knoppix myconfig=/mnt/auto/floppy" or "knoppix myconfig=scan", but none of them worked. It gave me some wierd message. What could the problem be?
-- Thanx
-
Senior Member
registered user
You can set a root password like so
su <enter>
passwd
-
Re: root password and saving config to floppy
Another question. I saved the Knoppix settings to a floppy (ext2 formatted) and it said that boot with either of these commands "knoppix myconfig=/mnt/auto/floppy" or "knoppix myconfig=scan", but none of them worked.
hi...
the save-to-floppy info screen you reference seems outdated.
i too had this trouble... the workaround that seems to work, for me, was to put "floppyconfig" in the boot line of option(s)/argument(s). mine, for example, reads:
root: knoppix lang=us alsa floppyconfig
i ran across the workaround in one of the messages in this forum, and the message also mentioned that for newer versions, which you mention having, "floppyconf" will also work. i'm using an 07-06? version, but both 'floppyconfig' and 'floppyconf' seem to do the trick.
the screen i'm referring to is the one that you get when you press the F2 key during boot up.
hth,
dave
-
Ah, I see. Thank you very much dfa. I was thinking that the config floppy is like mandrake's bootdisk (the one created during installation). Whenever I tried to boot mandrake with the floppy I would always get this error "vmlinuz not found".
- Thanks again.
Similar Threads
-
By bizarro in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-17-2004, 01:29 PM
-
By Leslie Simon in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-24-2004, 01:38 PM
-
By extradudeguy in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-14-2003, 11:33 PM
-
By SerenityNet in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 05-25-2003, 11:59 AM
-
By LordHarshmage in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-01-2003, 08:49 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X
$175.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99