Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Total Newb-Setting Up internet

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    5

    Total Newb-Setting Up internet

    As the topic says I'm really new to Linux(never used it before yesterday). I'm trying to set up internet, and I got no clue where to start.
    I have a WLAN and the computer I'm using Knoppix on is connected directly to the router(Belkin). My ISP is Cox(cable, in KS). In case it matters, the other OS I'm using on my machine is XP Home. I'm using Knoppix via CD, not using at hard drive install. I'd really appreciate any help I could get. Thx in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Hi imemyself,

    Start with clicking on the KDE desktop

    K --> KNOPPIX -->Network/Internet -->
    Network card config --> Yes

    Try to see if the web browser Konqueror
    works -- the icon that looks like a ship mine.

    Best Wishes
    paradocs

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    5
    OK, when I run that and click yes for the DHCP thing, I get this:

    Sending DHCP broadcast from device eth0Operation failed.
    Failed.
    Hit return to exit.


    edit: yes according to my router setup internet page(not viewable in linux btw), the DHCP server option is On.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    5
    Does anyone know?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Hi again,

    try from root, i.e.
    su
    dhcpd eth0

    No luck?

    Do you have a fixed address from you IP?
    If so you must get your IP address, netmask, gateway and nameserver.
    How do you connect from windows?

    If you connect from windows 98, connect to the internet, go to
    start run and enter winipcfg. Get the addresses for you connection.
    For windows xp the command may be ifconfig.

    Best Wishes
    paradocs

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    5
    OK, I tried the thing you said(I'm assuming the su, and dhcpd eth0 goes in the console), and it didn't work.(I tried dhcp too, incase it was a typo).

    I'm pretty sure I've got a dynamic IP.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Hanging in there,

    Can you connect with a direct ethernet connection to the modum?
    But what you need is to get help with the wlan.

    Ok I see you said wlan.
    Search Knoppix.net for wlan

    Here is one example with some things to try.
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3915#18349

    Best Wishes
    paradocs

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    5
    Hmm... When I try loading Knoppix when I have an wireless card(in addition to the router) connected to my computer, Knoppix freezes when its loading(when the little green progress bar thing). Also, if I don't have it connected when I'm loading Knoppix, but connect it once its loaded, it freezes. The WLAN card does work fine in Windows. When I tried loading Knoppix on the computer that the WLAN card originally was connected to, it freezes also freezes while the green progress bar thing is going.

    I tried connecting it directly to my cable modem, but it didnt work.


    Here's what I get when I run iwconfig, and ifconfig.


    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

    eth0 no wireless extensions.

    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ ifconfig eth0
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:10C:9C:90:F9
    BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    Base address:0xd000

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Hmmmmm,
    No one else is comming to the rescue?
    If more searching of old posts does not
    set of a light bulb in you head, I would
    suggest reposting with the subject specifying
    WLAN or your specific card.

    But don't give up! KNOPPIX really is great
    at configuring with a very high percent of
    hard ware. You just happen to be in the
    wrong percent.

    Best Wishes,
    paradocs

Similar Threads

  1. total newb needs help
    By tlo in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-29-2005, 01:04 PM
  2. Setting up a small network w/internet&crossover
    By wannessmet in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 11:08 PM
  3. Total newb install problem
    By TotalLinuxNewb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2003, 07:36 AM
  4. Setting up Internet
    By bach_m in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2003, 06:15 AM
  5. Total newb needs help setting up PPPoe
    By morpheusxp in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-21-2003, 02:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$225.61



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$224.72



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000

$99.95



Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB picture

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB

$98.95



IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on

$500.00