Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Holy ****, need help urgently....

  1. #1

    Holy ****, need help urgently....

    I get this message whenever I turn my PC on and try and run my default OS (Windows). It's white writing on a blue screen.....

    STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
    The registry cannot load the hive (file):
    \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
    or its log or alternate
    It is corrupt, absent or non-writeable.

    Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete
    Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.


    i need to resolve this as quick as possible, I've got ann assignment I'm working on which needs to be finished before Friday.
    Scott

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    Uhm, what have you done? Is it related to Knoppix?

    btw, you could try to do (type..) your assignment with OpenOffice from Knoppix. Do you have a FAT32 partition, it would be wise to use that for the files. Last time I heard about the Linux NTFS mounter it seemed unstable, has been some months ago though.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    Well, it looks like winblow$ has blown its registry up, and is unable to recover it. That's pretty bad... I dont know how to solve this, I guess you'll have to reinstall windoze. but for now, you can indeed use the knoppix live cd to do your work - using Koffice, or OpenOffice. (both will do, for normal work).

    Just download, and burn the most recent knoppix iso. then reboot with the knoppix in the tray, and use knoppix to do your work... I dont think it'll be difficult. You can use knoppix for reading files from your h-disk, but if the filesystem is NTFS you'll have to use a floppydisk or something like that to save your files.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, USA
    Posts
    40
    There are quite a lot of avenues to resolve this issue non-destructively.

    1) Buy some of the cool tools from Winternals. Some of the ones that apply in this case are NTFSDOS and ERD COMMANDER. Ntfs Dos allows you to boot into ms-dos and mount an ntfs drive read/write. Once you have this you can copy the backup hive into place. I am almost positive windows does automatic registry hive backups......google for it. ERD commander will boot into windows from the cd.....While I hate to say it..... ...... it is kinda like Knoppix. Not nearly as cool or useful it will give you full ntfs support as well as some very very cool repair features.

    2) Re-install windows over your current install. While this is risky because people tend not to do it right, if done properly this will work beautifully and will just give you a new install of windows with default registry hives and your old files. There are intermittent problems with permissions after that. To solve this use knoppix to pull the files from the ntfs partition since it does not care about ntfs permission issues.

    3) Use a commercial tool to convert the drive from ntfs to fat32. Once this is done then Knoppix and just about every other operating system (ms-dos) will be able to read/write the partition.


    Just some ideas.

    But using OpenOffice for the short term is a very good idea.

    Hope this helps and keep us posted

    -Duffin

  5. #5
    Ah thanks guys....it was urgent becuase I needed to rescue the assignment files I had already done. I managed to put them on floppy and use my laptop to finish them. That's all I was REALLY bothered about, I'm thinking of uninstalling Windows and replacing it with Linux full time.
    Again, thanks
    Scott

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    india
    Posts
    2
    Windows keeps making back ups of its registry files in $windows\sysbackup\rb00X.cab.

    You may restore your last known good back up from here. There should be no need to reinstall windows.

    cheers,
    rkan

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    Doesnt windblow$ try to use these backups by itself? Looks like that didnt work out, so I guess the backups are damaged, too... ???
    (even win'98se checks its registry, and replaces it with a good one if troubles are found.)

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    india
    Posts
    2
    while booting windows press F8 to boot to dos mode ( command prompt only) ;
    run scanreg; enter start in dialog box that appears to get another dialog box wherein we select view backups;

    you will now see the previous backups. restore the one you think is ok.

    hope it works.

    cheers

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdavies2k
    Ah thanks guys....it was urgent becuase I needed to rescue the assignment files I had already done. I managed to put them on floppy and use my laptop to finish them. That's all I was REALLY bothered about, I'm thinking of uninstalling Windows and replacing it with Linux full time.
    Again, thanks
    Scott
    Did you follow the advice from Duffin444 or did you simply start up Knoppix to save your files?
    Regards
    -Íris

Similar Threads

  1. HOLY SH*T!!!!
    By paparush in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-12-2003, 02:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Opteron X3421 32GB DDR4 Intel X550 10GbE No HDD picture

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Opteron X3421 32GB DDR4 Intel X550 10GbE No HDD

$599.00



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU   X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$175.00



SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays picture

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays

$499.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00