Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: compacted instalation

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sćo Paulo - Brasil
    Posts
    2

    compacted instalation

    wouldn't be great to install Knoppix on HD in a compacted way, I have some old PCs working fine with the knoppix live-CD, but I can“t install in the 800 Mb HDs , so if somehow I could transfer the bootable CD image to HD I still would have 100 Mb to save my work .
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    That's what we call the "poor man's install"; start reading here:
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdBasedHowTo
    Then come back if you have questions...

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    London
    Posts
    12
    Later: realised you're probably not starting from Windoze, but I'll leave this here anyway.


    I found a way to do this from http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4174#19460

    First off, thanks to all involved, especially KK and garyng.

    I'll just run through the steps I took again for the benefit of others. I've done nothing new here, but you never know it might help.


    All under Windows2000 on Fat32 (NOT NTFS):

    1. Unzipped w32grub.zip to c:\

    2. Executed w32grub.exe

    3. Added c:\boot\stage1="Grub" to c:\boot.ini per garyng's instructions.

    4. Edited menu.lst thus:

    (Note: most people should replace (hd0,2) with (hd0,0) - Windows resides on the third partition on my hard drive).

    # Sample boot menu configuration file

    # Boot automatically after a minute.
    timeout 60

    # By default, boot the second entry.
    default 1

    # Fallback to the first entry.
    fallback 0

    # Gets me back to windows
    title Windows 2000
    unhide (hd0,2)
    rootnoverify (hd0,2)
    chainloader +1

    # For booting Knoppix
    title Knoppix
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel (hd0,2)/boot/vmlinuz knoppix screen=1600x1200 home=/dev/hda7 wheelmouse lang=uk
    initrd (hd0,2)/boot/miniroot.gz


    With the Knoppix 27-06 cd in the cd drive (e:\):

    5. Copied the 686 Mb knoppix file from e:\KNOPPIX to c:\KNOPPIX

    6. Created a boot floppy by double clicking the mkfloppy.bat file in e:\KNOPPIX

    7. Copied the contents of the boot floppy to c:\boot

    8. Rebooted to be presented with a menu with items "Grub" and "Windows 2000".

    9. Chose "Grub" to get a grub prompt.

    10. Typed and entered "root (hd0,2)". (This step should be unnecessary for most people - Windows resides on the third partition on my hard drive).

    11. Typed and entered "configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst"

    12. A menu came up from which I selected Knoppix. It booted. Fast.

    Again, thanks everyone.

    If these instructions stand the test of time, perhaps they could be copied to HDBasedHowTo, so please say if they work or not.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    just want to add :

    you can tell w32grub where the menu.lst file is(it is default to (hd0,0)) then you don't need to do the GRUB command prompt stuff.

    w32grub -h

    would give you a brief help.

    for your case :

    w32grub -m (hd0,2)/boot/grub/menu.lst

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    London
    Posts
    12
    Worked a treat!

    This w32grub really could be GNU's Trojan horse.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by cgoodier
    Worked a treat!

    This w32grub really could be GNU's Trojan horse.
    That is the objective I believe

    Unfortunately, some users reported that it didn't work on their machine and I have no idea why(I am only the polisher of the stuff, and know little about GRUB internals). Luckily, because of its non-intrusive nature, no harm done.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    10
    When I try to use win32grub, the system stalls with GRUB Loading stage2... on the screen right after I select it. Anybody know what this means? ...Or where I could find out?

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    London
    Posts
    12
    I did have this problem once, when trying to install to a hard disk that wasn't the first as far as my BIOS was concerned.

    I fixed it by changing the order of the disks in the BIOS. Or maybe I removed one - I'm afraid I can't remember.

    Don't know if this is related to your problem.

Similar Threads

  1. Intel(R) 536EP V.92 Modem driver instalation
    By Florinux in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-08-2005, 05:07 AM
  2. 1st partiton on the HD for correct instalation?
    By altella2005 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-14-2005, 07:35 PM
  3. Knoppix instalation program???
    By fester in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 05:47 AM
  4. Reduce the HDD instalation size?
    By rayesteq in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-14-2004, 03:09 PM
  5. Couldn't start kdeinit. Check your instalation....
    By Bert in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-2003, 08:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair

$69.99



S-100 Industrial Micro Systems 8K Static Ram (IMS, Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Industrial Micro Systems 8K Static Ram (IMS, Altair, IMSAI)

$69.95



Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board) picture

Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board)

$40.00



BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8

BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8"x10" Retro Computer Altair 880

$7.00



TDL ā€œthe ZPUā€ rev 1 February 1977 s100 cpu board  picture

TDL ā€œthe ZPUā€ rev 1 February 1977 s100 cpu board

$345.00



S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI) picture

S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI)

$34.99



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$40.00



ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute picture

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute

$99.00