Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Knoppix 9.0.0 is out ...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Knoppix 9.0.0 is out ...

    Hello,
    Knoppix 9.0.0 is out. Thank you Klaus !
    No idea how to get my hands on it though ...
    With the travel ban and CA is not really close to Germany anyway.
    Stay healthy,
    Gilles

    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix900.html

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mysore, India
    Posts
    275
    Thank you for the information.
    Debian has also released a Stretch 9.12 as a security update.
    Already downloaded and using Knoppix 8.6.1. It won't be feasible to download the latest release. However, when the Knoppix reaches the end cycle of Buster, then that ISO shall be downloaded.
    Once again, thank you for the good news.
    Regards,
    Rajib

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Knoppix 9 dual boot from iso on win 10 ntfs nvme partition.

    Hi Klaus,
    I hope my email finds you and your loved one healthy and happy.
    I am just sharing some findings that you may be interested in adding into your next Knoppix release. I finally managed to dual boot natively Knoppix 9 from the iso image located in the Win 10 ntfs partition of the nvme ssd drive of my new machine and that was more complicated than I initially thought. Most of my problems came from the outdated version of busybox in the initrd which 1) was not seeing the large (>255) major device nodes and 2) could not see the content of the mounted ntfs partition because it was too large. After recompiling a standalone version of busybox with the proper options (and there is quite a few of them that matter) I also had to update the init boot script to replace all the "let" bash calls by "$(eval )" because I could not figure out how you got busybox to recognize that "let" applet. Finally I also had to add a couple lines in the init script to add the missing device nodes for the nvme partitions because udev is not yet running to discover them in the early stages of the boot. BTW, I also added support to boot from mmc cards which are available on most new laptops. If you are interested I will be more than happy to share my updated initrd which contains the new: init script, busybox and also some missing kernel modules (fuse, virtual machines hardware and all network cards support).
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

    http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/k900/minirt_900.gz
    http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/k900/minirt_900.tgz

    kernel /linux64 bootfrom=/dev/nvme0n1p2/[bB][oO][oO][tT]/k900/*.iso myconf=scan ...
    initrd /minirt_900.gz
    Last edited by ruymbeke; 06-22-2020 at 08:08 AM.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    7

    Good, but from where can we get iso image - Corona Lockout

    Can you share the Ver 9 - EN iso image, know it is huge, but will be useful for knoppix users.

    U can use sourceforge or google drive.

    Thanks for sharing.


    Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke View Post
    Hi Klaus,
    I hope my email finds you and your loved one healthy and happy.
    I am just sharing some findings that you may be interested in adding into your next Knoppix release. I finally managed to dual boot natively Knoppix 9 from the iso image located in the Win 10 ntfs partition of the nvme ssd drive of my new machine and that was more complicated than I initially thought. Most of my problems came from the outdated version of busybox in the initrd which 1) was not seeing the large (>255) major device nodes and 2) could not see the content of the mounted ntfs partition because it was too large. After recompiling a standalone version of busybox with the proper options (and there is quite a few of them that matter) I also had to update the init boot script to replace all the "let" bash calls by "$(eval )" because I could not figure out how you got busybox to recognize that "let" applet. Finally I also had to add a couple lines in the init script to add the missing device nodes for the nvme partitions because udev is not yet running to discover them in the early stages of the boot. BTW, I also added support to boot from mmc cards which are available on most new laptops. If you are interested I will be more than happy to share my updated initrd which contains the new: init script, busybox and also some missing kernel modules (fuse, virtual machines hardware and all network cards support).
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

    http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/k900/minirt_900.gz
    http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/k900/minirt_900.tgz

    kernel /linux64 bootfrom=/dev/nvme0n1p2/[bB][oO][oO][tT]/k900/*.iso myconf=scan ...
    initrd /minirt_900.gz

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke View Post
    Hi Klaus,
    I hope my email finds you and your loved one healthy and happy.
    I am just sharing some findings that you may be interested in adding into your next Knoppix release. I finally managed to dual boot natively Knoppix 9 from the iso image located in the Win 10 ntfs partition of the nvme ssd drive of my new machine and that was more complicated than I initially thought. Most of my problems came from the outdated version of busybox in the initrd which 1) was not seeing the large (>255) major device nodes and 2) could not see the content of the mounted ntfs partition because it was too large. After recompiling a standalone version of busybox with the proper options (and there is quite a few of them that matter) I also had to update the init boot script to replace all the "let" bash calls by "$(eval )" because I could not figure out how you got busybox to recognize that "let" applet. Finally I also had to add a couple lines in the init script to add the missing device nodes for the nvme partitions because udev is not yet running to discover them in the early stages of the boot. BTW, I also added support to boot from mmc cards which are available on most new laptops. If you are interested I will be more than happy to share my updated initrd which contains the new: init script, busybox and also some missing kernel modules (fuse, virtual machines hardware and all network cards support).
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

    http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/k900/minirt_900.gz
    http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/k900/minirt_900.tgz

    kernel /linux64 bootfrom=/dev/nvme0n1p2/[bB][oO][oO][tT]/k900/*.iso myconf=scan ...
    initrd /minirt_900.gz
    Great!
    Seems to me that this should be merged into the standard distro if it isn't already?
    Would be nice to have the busybox updating recipe too, plus possibly just the patched init script.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2
    Hello folks,

    with Knoppix 9.0 >>
    the (busyBox) Shell script /sbin/shutdown' tells you, that
    'shutdown -r' now is possible only with command
    'shutdown reboot', but reboot doesn't work
    (it does lead to 'poweroff').

    because i always do shutdown
    via PuTTY, i missed this feature
    really (with tears in my eyes)

    many greetings,
    Fred

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$49.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$254.97