[Solved] Use apt-get update as a super-user to have synaptic working
As usual I use unpacked KNOPPIX_V8.6.1-2019-10-14-EN.iso and booted with Grub to create a persistent system. In general, I have long been using synaptic to install additional software persistent across multiple reboots.
With the current version, I have run into an issue. I get the notice from synaptic:
I checked the /etc/apt/sources.listE: The value 'stable' is invalid for APT::Default-Release as such a release is not available in the sources
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
The keyword 'stable' shouldn't be an issue, but is presently. Shall the keywords be replaced by exact words? Like stable=buster, oldstable=stretch, unstable=Sid, oldoldstable=jessie and so on?
[Solved] Use apt-get update as a super-user to have synaptic working

Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC
$69.99
S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95
S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95
S-100 Bus Handbook Altair 8800 IMSAI 8080 Board Schematics Xitan Pertec Cromemco
$89.99
Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair
$69.99
Intel 4004IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair
$50.99
Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board)
$40.00
BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8"x10" Retro Computer Altair 880
$7.00
CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99
ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00