Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Changing free space

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1

    Changing free space

    Yesterday I received and "installed" the Knoppix CD on a WinMe machine with a 20G drive and 64mb of RAM. During the install, I was prompted to enter, what I think, was the amount of free disk space to use. The option was to pick a number between 60 and 120, I chose 60. After it was setup, it seemed to be running quite slowly, so I found (again, I think) where I could change the amount of free disk space and increased it to 120. It doesnt seem to have made much difference.

    Is this because there is only 64mb of RAM (is it even related to this). I think I have correctly changed the option (it was under config or system config), is there another or proper method of doing this.
    Thanks in anticipation.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    41
    You're right. When running from the cd, anything less than 128 RAM triggers the creation of a swap file, knoppix.swp, if it doesn't already exist.

    It works okay but isn't as good as 128 RAM. Even more RAM is better, of course.

    If you decide to put a persistent home directory on a memory stick, use some of the stick for the swap file. I'm using a 256 lexar jumpdrive (?). I have a 128 MB "persistent home" (knoppix.img) and a 60 MB knoppix.swp.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Putting swap on a USB memory stick is not a good idea, it decreases the lifetime of the device due to the limited # of writes the technology supports.

    Quote Originally Posted by bitey
    You're right. When running from the cd, anything less than 128 RAM triggers the creation of a swap file, knoppix.swp, if it doesn't already exist.

    It works okay but isn't as good as 128 RAM. Even more RAM is better, of course.

    If you decide to put a persistent home directory on a memory stick, use some of the stick for the swap file. I'm using a 256 lexar jumpdrive (?). I have a 128 MB "persistent home" (knoppix.img) and a 60 MB knoppix.swp.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    --Putting swap on a USB memory stick is not a good idea, it decreases the lifetime of the device due to the limited # of writes the technology supports.
    Agree. I would rather like to have KNOPPIX 'steal' the swap from the local harddisk(if the fs is compatible for such things as loopback file) and hopefully the script can be changed to use crypto loop on it so all it will be leaving behind is a big file with random content to the nake eye. Of course, this would not be good for forensic usage so some cheat code to enable/disable this feature, along the line of 'knoppix/expert [options]' becomes 'forensic [options]' to make it easier to choose from the menu.

Similar Threads

  1. Free Space Help
    By wiccaan in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-30-2005, 01:04 AM
  2. need more tmp space
    By CrashedAgain in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-10-2005, 05:18 AM
  3. Common "active" partitions free space?
    By Cuddles in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-24-2004, 03:22 PM
  4. not enough space ?!
    By Rapt0r in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-16-2004, 12:01 PM
  5. .xsession-errors filled ALL my free space!
    By stukennedyuk in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 12:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage DEC E2052-AA  AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap picture

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap

$729.99



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$109.99



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation

$79.95



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working picture

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working

$111.00