-
DHCP Problem, Please HELP me
Hello ppl..
I know there are a lots of post about DHCP problem..
I think i have read them all.. but nothing helps me out..
I am using KNOPPIX 3.2 CD-Boot (2003-09-05) and i cant connect to my network or Internet, i have tried netcardconfig but it didnt work..
Neither with or without DHCP, and i also tried knoppix noapic ..
didnt work either.. also ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.50 netmask 255.255.255.0 up didnt work.. What to do ??
I have a PCMCIA Netgear netwok card that works just fine..
And a Dlink 604 Router.. Please help me..
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: DHCP Problem, Please HELP me

Originally Posted by
MacManus
I am using KNOPPIX 3.2 CD-Boot (2003-09-05) and i cant connect to my network or Internet, i have tried netcardconfig but it didnt work..
Neither with or without DHCP, and i also tried knoppix noapic ..
didnt work either.. also ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.50 netmask 255.255.255.0 up didnt work.. What to do ??
I have a PCMCIA Netgear netwok card that works just fine..
And a Dlink 604 Router.. Please help me..
So why do you think you have a DHCP problem and not a more fundamental problem?
Can't speak about a 9/5 version quite yet, the EN version hasn't made it to the US mirrors I can get in to, although I did see a DE version. But I don't expect your problem is related to the 9/5 version unless you tell us older versions do run fine (and that's DO RUN FINE, not DID run fine.)
What happens when you try manually doing the ifconfig? Can you ping the dhcp server (or any other local machine)? What errors are you seeing. Did you try "mii-tool -r" before doing the netcardconfig? Did you try booting in the expert mode and answering no to all questions (I don't expect this last will work if noapic did not, but it's worth a try)?
And what do you mean the Netgear card works fine? Have you run Windows on this card? You may not want to believe this, but I continue to get confirmation from sources that don't know each other, that Windows will deliberately screw up a nic so that some versions of Linux cannot boot on it, and then bypass the damage that it did itself when it boots. I just had a friend describe this to me Thursday, with no mention on my part of what I already reported here, as something Windows will do on a Dual Boot system. I explained to him that Windows doesn't wait until it detects a dual boot system, it does it to the NIC anyway, and so screws us Knoppix users. But he is pretty much seeing the same thing I've seen and reported on many machines in a University setting.
If you're not sure what I'm talking about, read these two threads
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2117
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2164
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
MacManus,
I finally got a copy of the Sept 5 release. knoppix noapic no longer seems to let me boot to the network either (with a NIC that used to work fine before the Windows "security updates" were installed). But "sudo mii-tool -r" and then netcardconfig does resolve my problem.
What's your cureent status?
-

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
MacManus,
I finally got a copy of the Sept 5 release. knoppix noapic no longer seems to let me boot to the network either (with a NIC that used to work fine before the Windows "security updates" were installed). But "sudo mii-tool -r" and then netcardconfig does resolve my problem.
What's your cureent status?
Okey.. I will try that, Iam not at home right now.. cheers!
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Good to hear you're still around.
I didn't expect it when knoppix noapic didn't work with this new version, but I tested it and found that booting in expert mode and answering all questions n also lets me boot up with the nic working, without needing to do the sudo mii-tool -r trick. I suggest you try both and see if either work for you. Please report back and let others know. And please tell, has Windows been run on this nic? If so, what flavors?
Similar Threads
-
By J0hnP1pe in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-22-2005, 08:08 AM
-
By jon267 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-07-2004, 10:45 PM
-
By Rakim in forum Networking
Replies: 13
Last Post: 06-20-2004, 02:27 PM
-
By Li Gwai Lo in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-11-2004, 01:13 AM
-
By renaxgade in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 12-23-2003, 02:35 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP "Lot of 4” SFP-10G-SR
$47.99

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 850nm 10GBASE-SR SFP+ MMF 10-2415-03 Transceiver
$4.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99