Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: /boot issue

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1

    /boot issue

    Hi all,

    I got through the HD install ok with one exception: it reboots into "kernel panic". I'm sure I'm missing something. I did CFDISK and made a "/boot" for hda1, a "/" for hda3 and a "swap" partition for hda2. The install asked me for a swap which I specified as "hda2", and the root partition as "hda3", but it didn't ask me for a /boot partition? What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    /boot issue

    Which Knoppix release are you using? I was in the IRC chat room earlier and noticed someone getting a kernel panic message from an install he did with the 12-10 release. This came from him trying to install and format with Reisers. The new release (today!) supposedly fixes this. I'm supposing that everything was ok from the cd...that you are just getting these messages now. Correct?

  3. #3
    Guest

    Re: /boot issue

    kernel panic literally means linux can't find or mount the root filesystem, or one of the boot files, it that's any help. By definition it happens before any of the init scripts are run.


    Quote Originally Posted by deftblake
    Hi all,

    I got through the HD install ok with one exception: it reboots into "kernel panic". I'm sure I'm missing something. I did CFDISK and made a "/boot" for hda1, a "/" for hda3 and a "swap" partition for hda2. The install asked me for a swap which I specified as "hda2", and the root partition as "hda3", but it didn't ask me for a /boot partition? What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help.

  4. #4
    Member registered user tuxtom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    hamburg.de
    Posts
    32
    I use a 32 MB boot partition and a mbr installed grub from a formerly installed mandrix 9 to boot my hd installation of KNOPPIX.
    Just copy the kernelimage, system.map & initrd.gz from KNOPPIX:/boot to that boot partition, edit /grub/menu.lst to to boot options of the new knx-hd-installation and it works.
    I prefer grub before lilo, cause you haven't to make an install after a kernel change.

    tom

Similar Threads

  1. MBR issue
    By elqueso in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 01:14 AM
  2. Knoppix/Win2k Dual Boot Issue
    By saberworks in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 11:55 PM
  3. Boot issue: undefined mode number
    By knoppixbill in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-23-2003, 01:00 AM
  4. apt-get issue
    By albertfuller in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2003, 12:45 AM
  5. Boot Issue
    By Cronos55 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-05-2003, 06:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays picture

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays

$499.99



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU   X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$175.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00