Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: sshd, prng not seeded, X Login (kde)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    vienna
    Posts
    3

    sshd, prng not seeded, X Login (kde)

    Hi , I have knoppix 3.1 installed on HD ct CD). Last week I played around with APM to get the fan on the graphics card to wind down and set the computer in such a suspend mode that i could not reawake it. So the only option was a hard boot. (unfortunate windows habit). after that at the next reboot i had a whole lot of fsck yes, yes y y y y type of loops.

    Now I an only get to the graphical X login screen, but when I try to log in nothing happens. I found out that my sshd is not working. by checking dmesg. I assume that X and kde needs sshd. When I type sshd I get the ansewer "prngd not seeded". I checked all kinds of websites (open ssl) but there are no real practical solutions. I dont want to get into hardcore cryptography (yet) to log onto my system. There is a lot of talk about entropy and random generators.

    Any practical solution would be greatly appreciated! Such as apt-get install something that would work.

    I am also thinking about doeing a complete reinstall, bat taht would be the last resort.
    Thank you ,ro

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Normandie (France)
    Posts
    31
    hello,

    I don't think you need sshd to login.

    Have you tried to boot in another runlevel:

    At lilo prompt: press Tab, then press Linux 2 (runlevel 2)

    Once you're logged, you can try: startx (to start x server)

    You may also try to login you as root in order to run fsck to check your partition.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: sshd, prng not seeded, X Login (kde)

    --You could look into ssh-keygen, but after a bad fsck like that I would seriously reinstall - and next time use a journaled filesystem like reiserfs or ext3.

    Quote Originally Posted by smtm
    Hi , I have knoppix 3.1 installed on HD ct CD). Last week I played around with APM to get the fan on the graphics card to wind down and set the computer in such a suspend mode that i could not reawake it. So the only option was a hard boot. (unfortunate windows habit). after that at the next reboot i had a whole lot of fsck yes, yes y y y y type of loops.

    Now I an only get to the graphical X login screen, but when I try to log in nothing happens. I found out that my sshd is not working. by checking dmesg. I assume that X and kde needs sshd. When I type sshd I get the ansewer "prngd not seeded". I checked all kinds of websites (open ssl) but there are no real practical solutions. I dont want to get into hardcore cryptography (yet) to log onto my system. There is a lot of talk about entropy and random generators.

    Any practical solution would be greatly appreciated! Such as apt-get install something that would work.

    I am also thinking about doeing a complete reinstall, bat taht would be the last resort.
    Thank you ,ro

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    vienna
    Posts
    3
    I tried the ssh-keygen and got the same answerprngd not seeded).

    Before I reinstall, is there a quick way to get a listing of all files/ packages that i have installed/modified on the current system? I guess I would want a "find" with some options. Or is there a apt- soemting command that tells me which files i have installed since setting up the system.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by smtm
    I tried the ssh-keygen and got the same answerprngd not seeded).

    Before I reinstall, is there a quick way to get a listing of all files/ packages that i have installed/modified on the current system? I guess I would want a "find" with some options. Or is there a apt- soemting command that tells me which files i have installed since setting up the system.
    Use dpkg --get-selections > selections.txt to get your currently installed packages. Once you re-install then dpkg --set-selections < selections.txt to restore the saved selections to the package system. Then dselect update to update the database and apt-get dselect-upgrade to perform an upgrade using the the restored packages list. You may want to save /etc or the configuration files you modified and restore these as well.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --That's good info, Stephen. In fact I'm going to incorporate that into my bkpcrit script.

    --Here's a couple methods of finding and sorting all files that have been modified:

    o Quick-n-dirty, limited utility:
    ' ls -tARGg / |less '

    --I was going to post a "find" way based on experimentation, but couldn't find a good way to do it in a short amt of time. I was actually going to give up on it but googled ' incremental backup using "find" ' at the last minute.

    --Adapted from http://www.siwawi.arubi.uni-kl.de/mi...h_backup.html:

    ' touch -t 200305050000 ~/compfile ' == Create file with desired "newer-than" date for comparison; this file is May 5, 2003, midnight. You can change the date to that of your Knoppix rev.

    ' find / -xdev -newer ~/compfile ! -type d -print ' == Don't descend into other mounted filesystems, and exclude directory entries

    o My "Backup critical files" script... Use whenever you make changes to critical files, especially in /etc. Minimum recommended usage is once every Friday. (Note - all my directories in /mnt have a 0-byte file named NOTHERE in them that disappears while something is mounted there. You can either comment out the -e test for the NOTHERE file inthe script, or ' touch /mnt/blah/NOTHERE ' when nothing is mounted to that dir, to create the file.)

    #BEGIN bkpcrit
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    # Backup critical files (hopefully)
    
    dest='/mnt/zippy'
    mount $dest
    
    [ -e "$dest/NOTHERE" ] && echo "$dest NOT MOUNTED" && exit 99
    
    # "If" checking for NOTHERE file...
    
    dest=$dest'/linux-p233-knoppix32'
    echo $dest = PK
    read
    
    mkdir $dest
    
    # Copy this bkp script to zippy
    cp $0 $dest
    cp ~/localinfo.dat $dest
    
    dpkg --get-selections > ~/dpkg-selections.txt
    ## To get your currently installed packages. Once you re-install then:
    # dpkg --set-selections < dpkg-selections.txt
    ## To restore the saved selections to the package system.
    #
    ## Then
    # dselect update
    ## To update the database and
    # apt-get dselect-upgrade
    ## To perform an upgrade using the the restored packages list.
    
    time {
    tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-ETC-debian.tar.gz /etc
    tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-DEV-debian.tar.gz /dev
    tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-rootbin-debian.tar.gz /root
    tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-davesrc-debian.tar.gz /home/dave/src
    tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-davebin-debian.tar.gz /home/dave/bin
    tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-usr-local-debian.tar.gz /usr/local
    tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-var-dpkg-status.tar.gz /var/lib/dpkg
    tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-var-dpkg-backups.tar.gz /var/backups
    
    # Dotfiles
    cd /root
    tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-root-dotfiles--restore-locally.tar.gz .[^.]*
    cd /home/dave
    tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-dave-dotfiles--restore-locally.tar.gz .[^.]*
    }
    
    ls $dest -al
    df $dest
    exit
    
    #/var/adm/inst-log
    
    Copyright (C) 1999, 2000 and beyond David J Bechtel
    
    This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
    modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
    as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
    of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
    
    This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
    but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
    GNU General Public License for more details.
    
    You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
    along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
    Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307, USA.
    
     The GNU Copyleft 
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Quote Originally Posted by smtm
    I tried the ssh-keygen and got the same answerprngd not seeded).

    Before I reinstall, is there a quick way to get a listing of all files/ packages that i have installed/modified on the current system? I guess I would want a "find" with some options. Or is there a apt- soemting command that tells me which files i have installed since setting up the system.
    Use dpkg --get-selections > selections.txt to get your currently installed packages. Once you re-install then dpkg --set-selections < selections.txt to restore the saved selections to the package system. Then dselect update to update the database and apt-get dselect-upgrade to perform an upgrade using the the restored packages list. You may want to save /etc or the configuration files you modified and restore these as well.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Use dpkg --get-selections > selections.txt to get your currently installed packages. Once you re-install then dpkg --set-selections < selections.txt to restore the saved selections to the package system. Then dselect update to update the database and apt-get dselect-upgrade to perform an upgrade using the the restored packages list. You may want to save /etc or the configuration files you modified and restore these as well.
    Stephen, this tip is worth its weight in gold. I'm installing all the apps from one of my boxes onto another as I write this. THANKS!

    Adam

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    vienna
    Posts
    3
    Yes I wanted to say thanx as well for this great tip. I built this into my backup scripts which are rsync based.
    They are based on the sources found at:
    http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

    Maintaining 5 daily snapshots of the most important files of 8 GB worth of data takes about 1 min each. I included the dpgk listing so i can step back if i encounter problems and want to go back to a state whcih i knew that worked.

Similar Threads

  1. How do I run sshd on startup?
    By cjackson0 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-16-2004, 04:42 AM
  2. does sshd work?
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-02-2003, 09:42 PM
  3. LiveCD and sshd
    By Not_Public in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-21-2003, 11:34 PM
  4. SSHD configuration
    By garyng in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-10-2003, 04:55 PM
  5. sshd at boot
    By Xam_nl in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-23-2003, 08:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03 picture

Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03

$15.00



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD  Module  10-2945-02  NEW CLAMSHELL picture

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL

$45.50



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99