-
Can't Ping Modem/Router in Knoppix 3.2
Hi, I am having a problem setting up my network in Knoppix 3.2. I am unable to ping my modem or connect to the internet.
I have a Belkin F5D5000 PCI Network Card Connected to a Billion BIPAC-711 CE DSL Modem/Router. The Billion operates on address 192.168.1.254, and handles the PPPoE login to my ISP.
Under Win98SE, I can access my modem perfectly with the following static setup:
DNS: 192.168.1.254
Gateway: 192.168.1.254
IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Using LindowsCD (Lindows4.0 Live CD) I have also been able to connect to the internet and ping the modem. Under Lindows, the NIC driver used was Realtek RTL 8139/8139C/8139C+. Using thte Route command gave the following response:
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags ..... Interface
192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U Eth0
default 192.168.1.254 0.0.0.0 UG Eth0
However when I use Knoppix, I have set up the LAN settings using the same settings as for Win98, and have tried various "broadcast address" of 192.168.1.255 (the default), 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.254
Using the PPPoE configuration tool, and selecting No to manually pick the drivers I can see the the following drivers are installed:
-Realtek RTL 8139
-Winbond W89c840 PCI Ethernet support
Thinking the Winbond thingy might be causing a problem, I tried to remove it but Knoppix wont let me.
I can't even ping my modem (192.168.1.254) in Knoppix, let alone access the internet. I can of course ping 192.168.1.1.
I have tried some of the suggestions in this forum but to now avail. Can somebody help, I would rather use Knoppix than Lindows, you can save your settings in that. And Win98 is due for retirement!
Thanks, Tim.
Similar Threads
-
By jacksonon in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-29-2005, 12:35 PM
-
By CapNemo in forum Networking
Replies: 22
Last Post: 03-13-2005, 09:58 PM
-
By master_b in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-14-2004, 04:31 AM
-
By tommyf in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-23-2003, 10:23 PM
-
By kashif in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-01-2003, 11:23 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5 2x6248R 24 core 3.0G 24x64g DDR4-2933 ram
$112000.00

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R
$399.00

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$96.60

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08