-
kernel panic during hdd installation
Hi There,
Lately, I have been trying to install Linux on a home PC, and run into some problems. When I attempt to install Mandrake 9.1, I can get through all of the package installation, but then the system hangs when it comes time to choose a bootloader. With Knoppix, I can bring it up from CD and get to the point of installing packages to the hard drive. Then errors will come up concerning the installation of packages, such as:
cloop:error -3 uncompressing block 16343 68536/5644/34527/0 393320683-393355210
end_request: I/O error, dev f0:00 (cloop) sector 2098404
This corresponded to the package /usr/bin/mysql_waitpid
Other packages/sectors run into similar problems, such as /usr/share/doc/bison/
Then I see an array of hexadecimal addresses print to the screen, followed by
code: f0 fe 49 04 0f .....
<0> kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
In interrupt handler-not syncing
And then it all hangs....
I thought it might have been the iso's or CDs...but I have used images from both linuxiso.org and mirrors from the distribution web pages, and have also used both CDs from a cheap rebate stack and expensive memorex CDs.
I have had to power on/off repeatedly during these attempts, and think that some of the sectors of the hard drive are now corrupted. I am guessing that I can just download a DOS bootdisk with something like the scandisk utility to look for and possibly fix disk errors.
I am able to install RH 7 or MDK 7 without difficulty, but these only install 950-1000 MB of packages, so I thought that I might not have reached the bad sectors yet.
Other suggestions?
Thanks for your help.
Similar Threads
-
By Trace Green in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-19-2005, 04:33 PM
-
By dinacre in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-12-2004, 09:14 PM
-
By gitarzysta in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-03-2004, 08:36 PM
-
By Timo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 9
Last Post: 04-04-2004, 06:45 AM
-
By tji in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-12-2003, 06:40 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 500GB NVMe | 3TB HDD
$798.00

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3
$219.99

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00