-
Junior Member
registered user
Can't set hostname.
Hello, I tried knoppix 3.3 and still I can't get my cable connected to the internet, I guess
because my provider needs my hostname (computernaam). It simple refuses connection without that, has anyone a idea how I can set that before I try things like
netcardconf etc.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Edit the file /etc/hostname as root and put the name in there then run netcardconfig. The command would be sudo gvim /etc/hostname if you are running from the CD.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks Stephen, I could set my hostname, further I seem to have another problem,
because after that, netcardconfig says:
sending DHCP broadcast from device eth0Operation failed
Whatever I found on another forum a suggest to type in a shell:
pump -h `computername` -i eth0 ( as root on hd install)
or:
sudo -u root pump -h `computername` -i eth0 (from running cd)
After that I was finally online, thanks for answering, still I am wondering why
I can't configure netcard (realtek) and modem (motorola) in normal way.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
WimG
still I am wondering why
I can't configure netcard (realtek) and modem (motorola) in normal way.
Good question that I don't really have a good answer for other than sometimes with hardware it's a toss up whether it will work in various combinations, good to hear you got it going though.
-
i have the same issue as Wim...
using Knoppix v3.3 on CD
i did the "sudo gvim /etc/hostname" thing and changed the line in that file to my hostname; CP121041-A
that went fine, even went back to check if my changes got saved, and it did.
but when i ran this thing here:
sudo -u root pump -h 'CP121041-A' -i eth0
it waits some seconds and then it says:
Operation Failed
i ran netcardconfig but... no luck 
got the same error as Wim 
does anyone has any ideas?
keep in mind, i'm a complete n00b
-
Junior Member
registered user
Hello FunForum,
Probably you used the ' ' signes, try without, so:
sudo -u root pump -h computername -i eth0
maybe eth0 can be eth1 depends on your ethercard.
Similar Threads
-
By e2k in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-25-2004, 09:32 AM
-
By Valhalla in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-25-2004, 07:53 PM
-
By cascadefx in forum Ideas
Replies: 10
Last Post: 08-24-2003, 07:25 AM
-
By Ambrose in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-08-2003, 02:17 AM
-
By jensen in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-18-2003, 10:30 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap
$799.00

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012
$74.99

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board
$119.99

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)
$499.99

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard
$149.99

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal
$150.00

VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL
$169.00

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working
$111.00