Edit the file /etc/hostname as root and put the name in there then run netcardconfig. The command would be sudo gvim /etc/hostname if you are running from the CD.
Hello, I tried knoppix 3.3 and still I can't get my cable connected to the internet, I guess
because my provider needs my hostname (computernaam). It simple refuses connection without that, has anyone a idea how I can set that before I try things like
netcardconf etc.
Edit the file /etc/hostname as root and put the name in there then run netcardconfig. The command would be sudo gvim /etc/hostname if you are running from the CD.
Thanks Stephen, I could set my hostname, further I seem to have another problem,
because after that, netcardconfig says:
sending DHCP broadcast from device eth0Operation failed
Whatever I found on another forum a suggest to type in a shell:
pump -h `computername` -i eth0 ( as root on hd install)
or:
sudo -u root pump -h `computername` -i eth0 (from running cd)
After that I was finally online, thanks for answering, still I am wondering why
I can't configure netcard (realtek) and modem (motorola) in normal way.
Good question that I don't really have a good answer for other than sometimes with hardware it's a toss up whether it will work in various combinations, good to hear you got it going though.Originally Posted by WimG
i have the same issue as Wim...
using Knoppix v3.3 on CD
i did the "sudo gvim /etc/hostname" thing and changed the line in that file to my hostname; CP121041-A
that went fine, even went back to check if my changes got saved, and it did.
but when i ran this thing here:
sudo -u root pump -h 'CP121041-A' -i eth0
it waits some seconds and then it says:
Operation Failed
i ran netcardconfig but... no luck
got the same error as Wim
does anyone has any ideas?
keep in mind, i'm a complete n00b
Hello FunForum,
Probably you used the ' ' signes, try without, so:
sudo -u root pump -h computername -i eth0
maybe eth0 can be eth1 depends on your ethercard.

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40
Cisco SFP-10G-LR-S Reset & Tested Lot of 2
$32.99
NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99
Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94
HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99
Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10-3105-01 SFP+ Transceiver Module W/ Hologram Lot of 14
$98.00
Lot of 32 Cisco GLC-T 30-1410-03 1000BASE-T SFP Transceivers
$150.00
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99