Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: How do I put persistent data in ~knoppix?

  1. #1

    How do I put persistent data in ~knoppix?

    Hello,

    I have recently created a CD from a remastered
    Knoppix 3.3. What I have not figured out how to
    do is put persistent data (e.g., scripts that I use
    frequently, ssh keys, etc.) into ~knoppix automatically.
    I want to burn that data on the CD and have it
    copied to ~knoppix automatically on boot.

    I thought the answer had something to do with
    /etc/skel, but that data does not seem to be
    copied to /ramdisk/home/knoppix after boot.

    I did not see this covered in the Remastering Howto:
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...masteringHowto

    or in the various persistent home howtos.

    I appreciate any suggestions. Thank you,

    _ Ian

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Put it in /etc/skel. But you also have to edit the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession script. I'd guess its about 20 or 30 lines down in that script, there are some lines to copy the user's profile from /etc/skel. Juts add your data to the list of files copied.

    I also employ another method. I made a /data directory. Inside I keep lots of documentation. And I just make a folder full of symlinks on the kde desktop that links to these files, the copy my .kde configs back into /etc/skel. Other files are in there too, and I just run scripts that copy them off of /KNOPPIut =data and into ~/knoppix at boot-time.

Similar Threads

  1. Data recovery w/ knoppix
    By cohyster in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 06:01 PM
  2. help knoppix trying to recover data
    By bradleyko in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 05:00 PM
  3. Writable data on the Knoppix?
    By hooji in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-28-2003, 04:00 PM
  4. Knoppix Saves The Data!
    By k.otaku in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-06-2003, 04:07 PM
  5. Regarding Knoppix Persistent Home 0.2
    By Phredd in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-22-2002, 02:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 850nm 10GBASE-SR SFP+ MMF 10-2415-03 Transceiver picture

Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 850nm 10GBASE-SR SFP+ MMF 10-2415-03 Transceiver

$4.99



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver

$20.70