Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Root password for Knoppix Live CD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1

    Root password for Knoppix Live CD

    I need the password for the root of the Live CD.

    I think I need this because my hdd install doesn't recognize my Voodoo 3 2000 adapter.
    Therefore, I would like to copy the XF86Config-4 file from the RAM disk of the live CD and copy it into my hdd installation. I've copied the RAM disk version pretty easily.

    But when I try to copy it to the hdd install, the root password doesn't give me access to it. (I can still boot the hdd up to the console, only startm fails) Furthermore, I try to copy it when in the Live CD mode to my hda2 (that is where the install is) I cannot get write access.

    I would think I could do it by enabling read/write on the live CD but it still doesn't let me write to hdd from live CD.

    I've been trying to get linux running on my pc for about 2 years now (except for redhat 8 which is too much for my PII 400MHz) and have never been successful. How do you guys do it?!?!?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Root password for Knoppix Live CD

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel-Tang
    I need the password for the root of the Live CD.

    I think I need this because my hdd install doesn't recognize my Voodoo 3 2000 adapter.
    Therefore, I would like to copy the XF86Config-4 file from the RAM disk of the live CD and copy it into my hdd installation. I've copied the RAM disk version pretty easily.

    But when I try to copy it to the hdd install, the root password doesn't give me access to it. (I can still boot the hdd up to the console, only startm fails) Furthermore, I try to copy it when in the Live CD mode to my hda2 (that is where the install is) I cannot get write access.

    I would think I could do it by enabling read/write on the live CD but it still doesn't let me write to hdd from live CD.

    I've been trying to get linux running on my pc for about 2 years now (except for redhat 8 which is too much for my PII 400MHz) and have never been successful. How do you guys do it?!?!?
    Try this from a console window:
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2
    sudo cp /mnt/hda2/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/hda2/etc/X11/XF86Config-4.original
    sudo cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4  /mnt/hda2/etc/X11/XF86Config-4
    This makes a copy of the original file and copies the running config to the HD reboot and you should have the same screen as you had on the CD boot.

Similar Threads

  1. Is there a root password for Knoppix
    By papwilly in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-20-2005, 02:04 PM
  2. Root Password In Knoppix Live
    By jaykay in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-07-2004, 08:01 PM
  3. How to set the root password on Knoppix 3.3
    By MrWizard in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2003, 10:14 PM
  4. Knoppix cd root password
    By swamishriji in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-08-2003, 01:55 AM
  5. Knoppix cd root password
    By swamishriji in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-07-2003, 04:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly

$18.95



Atari 1010 Cassette Recorder/Player w/ Power Adapter For Parts/Repair Turns On picture

Atari 1010 Cassette Recorder/Player w/ Power Adapter For Parts/Repair Turns On

$25.00



Atari SX212 Modem for IBM-Compatible Systems w/ Power Adapter & Manuals NOS picture

Atari SX212 Modem for IBM-Compatible Systems w/ Power Adapter & Manuals NOS

$125.00



A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS picture

A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS

$16.95



Atari 410 Program Recorder repair w manual sheet/ adapter cord  picture

Atari 410 Program Recorder repair w manual sheet/ adapter cord

$23.99



Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI picture

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI

$44.00



Atari 1200XL Home Computer, Tested Boots & Plays Cart, OEM PSU, Box - Read picture

Atari 1200XL Home Computer, Tested Boots & Plays Cart, OEM PSU, Box - Read

$329.95



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29