-
Partition permissions...
Hi everyone, this is my first post and I'm relatively new to Linux. I did a HD install from the knoppix cd (knoppix-installer) and all went well. There is one thing that is confusing me though. I created a user (during install) named buck. I have an NTFS partition where Win2k Pro resides. User buck is in the users group. However, if I have this line in /etc/fstab...
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs auto,users,exec,ro 0 0
I cannot access this partition as buck, only as root. I get a permission denied. However, if I change it to...
/dev/hda /mnt/hda1 ntfs auto,users,exec,ro,uid=buck,gid=buck 0 0
I can access it just fine. I thought that, since buck is definitely in the users group, I should not have to specify uid and gid, the fact that users is specified should allow all users access, right? I'm only concerned because if, and when, additional users are added the /etc/fstab file could get a little hairy with the way it is currently working.
Any ideas, or corrections in my thinking, are greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.
Similar Threads
-
By w5uc in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-01-2005, 08:18 PM
-
By n01mportant in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-14-2005, 10:27 PM
-
By newiaqua in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-26-2004, 07:49 PM
-
By dragonlord in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-26-2004, 04:36 AM
-
By tony177 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-22-2004, 10:40 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1599.99

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM
$344.97

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99

DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5315Y 8 CORE PROCESSOR 3.2 GHZ SRKXR
$1100.00