-
Is it possible to switch to Debian Testing?
Previously I tried a HD install followed by a downgrade to the Debian Stable version. This did not go very well (system was unusable).
For reasons which I will not go into I CANNOT just do a install of Woody (Debian Stable).
So I decided to use Knoppix due to its outstanding hardware detection (the main issue with Woody).
Now as I understand Knoppix is basically a Tesing/Unstable version of Debian when installed on a HD.
What I want to know is:
Is it possible to set up apt so that it will only upgrade to the testing packages?
I have the line:
APT:
efault-Release "Testing";
in my /etc/apt/apt.conf
I am happy with the way Knoppix is running now (with any unstable packages that are installed) but I want apt to overlook installing any further unstable packages but at the same time leaving the ones that are there alone (i.e.: no downgrade).
I have also enabled the stable and testing sources in my apt sources list.
My aim is to end up with a standard Debian Testing distro.
Should this work?
Thanks
Mr_D
P.S. I have read on debianhelp.org that people who have tried this method of installing a Debian distro encounter 'knoppixisms' in that some dependancies are made with Knoppix-Specific packages etc. Can anyone comment on what these effects are and how severe they are.
-
Senior Member
registered user
You can do what you want by commenting out the line(s) for unstable in your /etc/apt/sources.list. You would then apt-get update and upgrade when you upgrade it should tell you that it is going to remove all of KDE and may offer to install KDE 2.2.2 if not then just install the kde meta package later and you will have the 2.2.2 version.
-
It's not just KDE I am concered about. KDE 3.0 is stable now. KDE 2.2.2 is old now and has been supersceded. Woody runs 3.0 (or 3.1) so I don't think it would install KDE 2.2.2.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
mr_dellarenta
It's not just KDE I am concered about. KDE 3.0 is stable now. KDE 2.2.2 is old now and has been supersceded. Woody runs 3.0 (or 3.1) so I don't think it would install KDE 2.2.2.
If you look at where the programs come from then yes you will get 2.2.2 not KDE > 3.0 in testing.
Similar Threads
-
By maxIT in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-16-2005, 08:13 PM
-
By foamrotreturns in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-01-2005, 11:44 PM
-
By evilmrhenry in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-21-2004, 08:55 AM
-
By hyao in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-01-2003, 03:40 PM
-
By robelanator in forum The Lounge
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-18-2003, 01:35 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 850nm 10GBASE-SR SFP+ MMF 10-2415-03 Transceiver
$4.99

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver
$20.70

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99