Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Viewing videos

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    14

    Viewing videos

    Hi folks!

    New to Linux/Knoppix.

    I want to view movie trailers on the Apple.com website. Normally, I use Windows/Quicktime but there seems to be no option for Linux.

    What to do? Can I use Xine or is there a Quicktime version that will run with Knoppix, or something else entirely?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Viewing videos

    --You have to be installed to HD, but you can install mplayer.

    ' apt-get install mplayer-686 w32codecs '

    --Go also to the mplayer site ( http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design6/dload.html ) and
    Install mplayer-skin--default-1.7.tar.bz2 into
    /usr/local/share/mplayer/Skin
    Install mplayer--qt6dlls.tar.bz2, mplayer--qtextras.tar.bz2

    --Hopefully that should work, there's lots of stuff on the web to help with installing/using mplayer.

    Quote Originally Posted by dmedici
    Hi folks!

    New to Linux/Knoppix.

    I want to view movie trailers on the Apple.com website. Normally, I use Windows/Quicktime but there seems to be no option for Linux.

    What to do? Can I use Xine or is there a Quicktime version that will run with Knoppix, or something else entirely?

    Thanks in advance!

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    14
    Dave,

    Again, thanks in advance for your help. I've been able to figure out a bunch of new things from your post.

    Question -

    what do you mean by this line...

    ' apt-get install mplayer-686 w32codecs '

    and this line

    Install mplayer--qt6dlls.tar.bz2, mplayer--qtextras.tar.bz2

    Are these instructions to be typed into the shell? Sorry, I'm really new at Linux.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    (Activate patience... Ok)

    As root, you type that apt-get install line while connected to the Internet. Apt then installs mplayer-686 and the Win codecs.

    You may have to add this to /etc/apt/sources.list :

    Code:
    # mplayer 2003.0715
    deb http://marillat.free.fr/ stable main
    deb http://marillat.free.fr/ unstable main
    --Check http://www.apt-get.org/ for other unofficial debian software.

    When downloading the files from the mplayer website (the .bz2 files) I renamed them on the fly to mplayer--origfilename so I knew what they were related to. You *have* to have a default skin, and you said you wanted to view QT files. So you download those bz2's and install them where the mplayer site tells you to.

    There is a howto on their website:
    http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/en/documentation.html

    Quote Originally Posted by dmedici
    Dave,

    Again, thanks in advance for your help. I've been able to figure out a bunch of new things from your post.

    Question -

    what do you mean by this line...

    ' apt-get install mplayer-686 w32codecs '

    and this line

    Install mplayer--qt6dlls.tar.bz2, mplayer--qtextras.tar.bz2

    Are these instructions to be typed into the shell? Sorry, I'm really new at Linux.

Similar Threads

  1. I can't see videos with xine.
    By JLJR in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-30-2003, 03:22 PM
  2. Viewing motherboard temperatures
    By pummer in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-13-2003, 06:08 PM
  3. Viewing DVD
    By gatzke in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-02-2003, 04:35 PM
  4. videos on web sites?
    By yazdzik in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-20-2003, 09:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$157.30



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$157.93



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX picture

Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX

$89.95



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on

$500.00



Vintage IBM #192726 Paper Tape Punch Mainframe Computer Programming Tool 1960s picture

Vintage IBM #192726 Paper Tape Punch Mainframe Computer Programming Tool 1960s

$135.65