Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: hda not being found

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1

    hda not being found

    Hello,

    Newbie problem I'm afraid...

    I have a Toshiba Satellite 1800 (Celeron 800 with 15Gb). Win XP with FAT32

    Knoppix works fine if I start with DMA - otherwise it hangs on /etc/ in the startup script.

    Unfortunately with DMA enabled no HD is recognised. When I try to add a persistent home on dev/hda I get the problem that "a filesystem must be specified" yet there seems nowhere to specify a filesystem.

    I read another post here where HD wasn't found but that seemed to be a problem with a HD exceeding 40Gb.

    I followed instructions in that post & ran sudo fdisk -l /dev/hda and get some info, incl (with apologies for proportional font):-

    DEvice Boot ... ID System
    /dev/hda1 * c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)

    then I ran

    dmseg | grep hda

    This gives various info including:-

    ide_setup: hda-scsi
    IDE0: bm-dma AT 0XEFF0-0XEFF7, BIOS settings: hdaMA, hdbio

    and also

    hda: unknown partition table.

    Sorry to be lost!

    Rob

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Northern Germany
    Posts
    6
    Hi

    Please do the following. Start KNOPPIX, open a shell and start the command 'sudo cat /proc/partitions'. Please let me know what it gives back.
    I have a Toshiba Sattellite Pro 6000 which does not work with the actual KNOPPIX. Inside /proc/partitions only the full harddisk is shown with no partitions. Using 'sudo fdisk -l' instead, I can see all of my partitions (W2K and SuSE Linux).
    It seems, that the Linux kernel >= 2.4.21 causes this problem on the Toshibas. With Knoppix 3.2 2003-06-06 (with kernel 2.4.20) my Toshi works.
    Sorry, but I have no solution found yet.

    Best regards
    Sturmmoewe

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    4
    Forgive me...I'm new to Knoppix (though very experienced with RedHat). I've looked around the mirrors...where can I download this 06-06-2003 version of Knoppix so I can use it on my Toshiba laptop?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    4
    Answered my own question: I found it at http://www.fhh.opensource-mirror.de/knoppix/

    Hope this helps somebody...

Similar Threads

  1. IEEE 1394 found and then not found ...
    By asearle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2005, 04:31 PM
  2. Orinoco Gold Classic - found once - now not found.
    By GFBurke in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-04-2005, 02:37 AM
  3. /bin/sh! not found?
    By justmyskin in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 05:23 AM
  4. No moc found in /bin
    By tommystyle in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-26-2003, 07:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$119.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



Vintage DEC E2052-AA  AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap picture

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap

$749.99



VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL picture

VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL

$169.00



DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage picture

DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage

$79.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working picture

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working

$111.00