Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: modprobe and x11

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    chester,mass
    Posts
    7

    modprobe and x11

    I am new to knoppix, I have the iso burned on a cd and when I boot up it goes thru the auto config then it says it can't find modprobe in slot 0, then after that it says it is loading x11.... and then my monitor restarts with nothing on the screen.
    I have tried several cheat codes and always the same thing. What am I doing wrong. If I can use knoppix then I will feel better about trying Linux.I really want to get away from windows!!!

    thanks, john

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    What video card/chipset do you have? What cheatcodes are you using exactly and how?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    chester,mass
    Posts
    7
    I have a Radeon 7000 32MB video card. The cheat codes I used were in the help menu from the cd. I typed in the codes the way they were listed. I used all the codes from the help menu. I am using a p4 2.4ghz with an asus p4b533 motherboard. I built the computer myself, it runs great but I am interested in using Linux. I did not want to remove the windows xp installed now so I wanted to run Knoppix from the cd. I downloaded the file and burned the iso, then I went into the bios to have the computer boot from the cdrom. All the cheat codes ended up the same way. With the monitor restarting and nothing showing.

    I am thankful for any help you can give me. John

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Well.....I still have no idea how you entered the cheat codes but I can say that my Radeon 7200 works just fine and is autodetected. It may be that your monitor is causing the troubles. What kind of monitor and what resolution do you usually use?

    Try this:

    boot: knoppix lang=us xmodule=ati

    You can also add more parametrs like so:

    boot: knoppix lang=us screen=1024x768 xmodule=ati noscsi nopcmcia

    There is always the failsafe option too. If nothing else boot like so:

    boot: failsafe

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    chester,mass
    Posts
    7
    I am happy to say that the failsafe worked, but I did go through the help menu when I had knoppix running and found more cheat codes. I tried noagp and this works .

    When knoppix starts up, it loads a screen and at the bottom it says boot:

    This is where I have been entering : knoppix noagp, But I use an ASUS motherboard with onboard LAN. Now I can not find a way to have knoppix find this network interface. I have gone into the edit, preferences, adv,and proxies to try to change some settings such as autodetect, etc. So far nothing has worked.

    I just wanted to thank you - Rickenbacherus - for the failsafe option!!
    I am having fun just going through the different settings and such. If you or anyone has a fix to load the network from the motherboard please help!!!

    thank again, John

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Post results of ' lspci -v ', you should see something like this:
    Code:
    00:01.1 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 10/100 Ethernet (rev 82)
            Subsystem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 10/100 Ethernet Adapter
            Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 10
            I/O ports at d000 [size=256]
            Memory at cfffa000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
            Expansion ROM at cffc0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
            Capabilities: <available only to root>
    Quote Originally Posted by jnoblesr
    But I use an ASUS motherboard with onboard LAN. Now I can not find a way to have knoppix find this network interface. I have gone into the edit, preferences, adv,and proxies to try to change some settings such as autodetect, etc. So far nothing has worked.

    I just wanted to thank you - Rickenbacherus - for the failsafe option!!
    I am having fun just going through the different settings and such. If you or anyone has a fix to load the network from the motherboard please help!!!

    thank again, John

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    chester,mass
    Posts
    7
    Do I open a console and type in lspci-v ??? I have not seen the code you posted.

    thanks for the help, john

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by jnoblesr
    Do I open a console and type in lspci-v ??? I have not seen the code you posted.

    thanks for the help, john
    Yes open the console and type it in.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    chester,mass
    Posts
    7
    I opened up the shell konsole and typed in lspci - v , this is what it said

    bash: /sbin/lspci: Input/output error.

    I also notice after I type in knoppix noagp and knoppix starts to load it says at the top of the screen: pci device 00:1f.1 resource collision. I wonder if this is what is stopping the onboard network from being detected?

    Thanks again, John

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Wow, that made my head hurt. Lspci shouldn't be getting i/o errors.

    --Try adding a ' pci=biosirq ' to the cheatcodes you're using and see if that gets around the resource coll. And FYI, it's ' lspci -v ' without the quotes. (lspci space dash v.)

    Usage: lspci [<switches>]

    -v Be verbose
    -n Show numeric ID's
    -b Bus-centric view (PCI addresses and IRQ's instead of those seen by the CPU)
    -x Show hex-dump of the standard portion of config space
    -xxx Show hex-dump of the whole config space (dangerous; root only)
    -s [[<bus>]:][<slot>][.[<func>]] Show only devices in selected slots
    -d [<vendor>]:[<device>] Show only selected devices
    -t Show bus tree
    -m Produce machine-readable output
    -i <file> Use specified ID database instead of /usr/share/misc/pci.ids
    -M Enable `bus mapping' mode (dangerous; root only)
    -P <dir> Use specified directory instead of /proc/bus/pci
    -H <mode> Use direct hardware access (<mode> = 1 or 2)
    -F <file> Read configuration data from given file
    -G Enable PCI access debugging


    Quote Originally Posted by jnoblesr
    I opened up the shell konsole and typed in lspci - v , this is what it said

    bash: /sbin/lspci: Input/output error.

    I also notice after I type in knoppix noagp and knoppix starts to load it says at the top of the screen: pci device 00:1f.1 resource collision. I wonder if this is what is stopping the onboard network from being detected?

    Thanks again, John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 04:18 AM
  2. modprobe and insmod
    By wachka in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-06-2005, 05:39 PM
  3. modprobe: FATAL [...] snd_intel_8x
    By Bobert in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-18-2004, 06:48 AM
  4. modprobe i2c-isa via686a
    By mhelleboid in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-28-2003, 10:25 AM
  5. Modprobe problem after hdd install
    By PhilMills in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-12-2003, 10:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB 2.0 Flash Drive 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Thumb Memory Stick Multi Pack Bulk Lot picture

USB 2.0 Flash Drive 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Thumb Memory Stick Multi Pack Bulk Lot

$1082.99



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$282.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00