Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Downloading & Running new linux software

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    18

    Downloading & Running new linux software

    Hi. I was just wondering if it would be possible to use Windows to download a linux application and save it to a NTFS hdd. Then boot up to Knoppix and run the linux software from the hdd.

    I've read through the FAQs and I'm aware that Knoppix can't write to NTFS, but since it can read I'm assuming this is possible. I was just thinking of this (as I am impatiantly downloading knoppx) since ive seen a lot of free linux apps out there that I'd like to try out and they might not be on the Knoppix CD.

    I'm sorry, but I'm a n00b to...everything.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199

    Re: Downloading & Running new linux software

    Quote Originally Posted by Coolnat2004
    Hi. I was just wondering if it would be possible to use Windows to download a linux application and save it to a NTFS hdd, then boot up to Knoppix and run the linux software from the hdd. I've read through the FAQs and I'm aware that Knoppix can't write to NTFS, but since it can read I'm assuming this is possible
    Most Linux apps are compressed in some way and must be extracted to be installed. Even if you downloaded an app to the NTFS drive via Windows, you would have nowhere to extract it to.

    I found, in my case, that adding a cheap hard drive formatted with a Linux and a vFAT partition worked best--I installed Knoppix to the new drive and both Windows and Linux see and share the vFAT partition.

    Knoppix (free) plus new HD (cheap) = more storage for Windows and a dual boot system--for cheaper than most operating systems alone.

    If you don't want the Windows boot record messed with, you can skip installing LiLo to the Master Boot Record and use GAGboot from floppy: http://gag.sourceforge.net/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -- Michael Rudas
    Metro Detroit Linux Users' Group: http://www.MDLUG.org
    PengiuCon 2.0, April 2004: http://www.PenguiCon.org

Similar Threads

  1. Software for Linux
    By Seyyapc in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-05-2005, 12:51 AM
  2. PROBLEMS INSTALLING LINUX SOFTWARE!?!?!?!
    By lee1212 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-25-2004, 05:31 PM
  3. Antivirus Software for Linux?
    By aravind in forum General Support
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-14-2003, 11:27 PM
  4. Network Inventory Software for Linux?
    By david_eliasson in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2003, 11:25 AM
  5. install additional linux software
    By joe56 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-12-2003, 02:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC  picture

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC

$750.00



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM

$289.99



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T/BCM Server Motherboard For Parts/Repair picture

ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T/BCM Server Motherboard For Parts/Repair

$365.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$200.00



Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD picture

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD

$199.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



POGO ATLAS 1102 Server 32 Gb RAM 4TB Storage 2x2TB HDD’s (Tested-Working) No OS picture

POGO ATLAS 1102 Server 32 Gb RAM 4TB Storage 2x2TB HDD’s (Tested-Working) No OS

$179.85



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99