-
Senior Member
registered user
SohoWare Auto 10/100 Ethernet PCI card model# SFA110A
OK, I've never had a problem with networking when using KNOPPIX. Now I'm trying to resurect an old Gateway G6/266 for my kids to surf the web and get them off my new Dell....
Anyway, I upgraded the cdrom drive to a bootable one that can read cdrs (old drive couldn't) and I also upgraded the RAM by adding 128MB (now a total 159MB). All this seems to work fine, the KNOPPIX 2003.0924 CD boots fine, etc.
Now I figure the easy part is to pop in an old ethernet card I had lying around and put this beast on my router. On the boot screen KNOPPIX reports finding eth0 and running DHCP in the background. But when I go to use KONQUEROR, I can surf nowhere! I issued ifconfig from the shell and got only the "lo" configuration info, no internet.
My question: like a cheap internal winmodem that won't work in linux, is this ethernet card also a cheap win version? Is there such a thing? Or, has anyone had success with this PCI card (SohoWare Auto 10/100 Ethernet PCI card model# SFA110A) and I'm just missing something - please let me know!
BTW, I notice that on all the machines I use ethernet cards, they came built-in and are of the 3COM variety - should I get one of those? I figured I'd use this card as cablevision left it here when they wanted me to install my own cable modem (I didn't need the card as my Dell had one already...). In fact I have 2 of these cards as my folks didn't need it either. I kept the cards lying around thinking I could use some day. Maybe not?
TIA,
-
Junior Member
registered user
Something to try...
Hey there;
The card seems to be Linux compatible, see http://www.network-drivers.com/drivers/19/19403.htm
so that rules out any crazy win-only ethernet cards. I don't think that would happen however, since ethernet is so easily done more "properly" and would be difficult to turn into a partially software based medium.
Have you tried running netcardconfig from a shell? I have had some trouble with cards previously, which were somewhat miraculously solved by running netcardconfig.
Good luck!
Civ
-
Senior Member
registered user
Can I use netcardconfig to fix this on the fly - ie: running off CD?
EDIT: I tried out netcardconfig. It asked if I wanted DHCP broadcasting, I click OK, then I got a failed attempt error. So I tried again, without the DHCP broadcasting and set up my ip address, etc. Now ifconfig gives me the "lo" config and the "eth0" config, but I can't surf anywhere still!
TIA,
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
A. Jorge Garcia
Can I use netcardconfig to fix this on the fly - ie: running off CD?
EDIT: I tried out netcardconfig. It asked if I wanted DHCP broadcasting, I click OK, then I got a failed attempt error. So I tried again, without the DHCP broadcasting and set up my ip address, etc. Now ifconfig gives me the "lo" config and the "eth0" config, but I can't surf anywhere still!
TIA,
Can you ping the other machine? If so you should check /etc/resolv.conf to see if the nameserver is set correctly. Also what does lsmod say now that you have an IP for the card does it show it in use? To ansewr the question in the first post if you are going to buy a new card 3Com is one of the best supported manufacturers around so yes buy that brand if you can. One last idea have you tried pump -i eth0 to try to get the IP?
-
Senior Member
registered user
The only thing lsmod lists that makes sense is tulip as this card used tulip drivers under wimpdoze.
BTW, I can't ping the other PC as my kid just took my router to college. I have to get a new one.
pump returned an error.
Any other ideas? Or should I just break down and get a 3com card off ebay along with a new router?
TIA,
Similar Threads
-
By Oswald Glinkmeyer in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-26-2005, 11:56 AM
-
By Arabian in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-06-2004, 05:32 AM
-
By Koji-Kabuto in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 6
Last Post: 07-20-2003, 04:51 PM
-
By pinzgauer in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-10-2003, 11:03 PM
-
By rec9140 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-22-2003, 07:00 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$225.61

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$224.72

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*
$199.99

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000
$99.95

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB
$98.95

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on
$500.00