-
You know,
I agree somewhat with this. I really like Knoppix and am still very new to it, so I'm not sure the solution doesn't already exist. In my opinion, Knoppix strives to be a "full featured" distro for a reason. All the software is good to have on the disk if you are demoing Linux, or testing hardware compatability before installing Linux. That's exactly what you want, and I would not suggest that it change.
But, once you get to the point that you want to run it all the time from the HDD, I would personally like to see a "base" or "core" cd that gives you a only bare bones system with KDE for example. *No* extra apps. Then you can add all your software easily with apt-get. Even script the install so anyone can cook up a custom system over and over just by scripting the packages they want. A simple, but very customizable and powerful solution.
If software installs weren't so easy with apt-get, I'd probably not feel this way. But when I can use it and get my software so quick and easily, I really don't see the need for all the extra software when you install to disk. It seems like it would be less fuss also since you wouldn't have to keep releasing new revisions when apps are upgraded. The kernel and system internals would be the only changes to worry about.
I do find mysqlf removing a lot of the stuff just because I never need it. It would be nice if we had the option of a bare bones knoppix install as well as the full blown one. If for no other reason than it's the easiest Debian install I've ever seen -
Similar Threads
-
By tommydl in forum Ideas
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-24-2004, 07:57 PM
-
By MethodMan in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-03-2004, 08:01 PM
-
By Rink in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-21-2004, 07:11 PM
-
By Jack_ in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-27-2004, 09:37 PM
-
By montagne57 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-06-2004, 11:19 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Supermicro CSE-732 Mid-Tower Server Chassis w/ Supermicro X10DRi 2x Xeon E5-2620
$325.00

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

HP Proliant MicroServer HSTNS-5151 AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU @ 1.50GHz 16Gb RAM
$174.99

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Opteron X3421 32GB DDR4 Intel X550 10GbE No HDD
$599.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00