Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: login as root? how?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    22

    login as root? how?

    I must change a file to let my scanner work in Knoppix.

    But when I want to save this file , I don't have write permissions. I only can do that as "root".

    I already created a password for "Root" , but how can I login as root?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2

    Re: login as root? how?

    try sudo su on a console.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    100

    Re: login as root? how?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mogiin
    I must change a file to let my scanner work in Knoppix.

    But when I want to save this file , I don't have write permissions. I only can do that as "root".

    I already created a password for "Root" , but how can I login as root?
    Well I gurss you know about su and sudo on knoppix live cd to go from $ to #.You say you created the passwd already if so then to login type :
    #login root <then passwd when asked>
    #login user <then passwd when asked>
    $su <passwd when asked>
    $login <name and passwd when asked>
    #login <name and passwd when asked>

    Get the idea?

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    26

    A nice little trick for you...

    Hey there;

    One of the nicer little tricks in Knoppix is "Run as a different user (GKsu)" You can find it under the K-menu > System > Run as a different user (GKsu).

    When it starts, you should type in kedit as the program to run, and make sure it is running as root (you'll see... pretty self-explanatory). From there, open the XXXX.conf file you're editing in the SANE directory and when you're done editing, just save it. Because this program is running as root, you will have the required root permissions.

    I find GKsu so useful, I have it's icon in my kicker.

    Good luck!

    Civ

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    22
    Thnx , I hope my scanner will work now

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    22
    Well it's still not working.

    I think I logged in as Root , but still can't modify the "hp.conf" file. No write permissions.

    Please help...

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22
    I think I logged in as Root , but still can't modify the "hp.conf" file. No write permissions.
    chmod o+w hp.conf should make the file writeable for root.

    hw

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    22
    Thank you , I hope it will work now

Similar Threads

  1. Cannot login other than root, pls help
    By bsjawle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 05:02 AM
  2. Login as ROOT
    By ackelley in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-12-2005, 11:52 PM
  3. How do root login
    By mienque in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-29-2004, 06:15 AM
  4. Root login
    By Dark19 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-15-2003, 03:41 AM
  5. Login as root
    By 1st_time in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-17-2003, 04:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC picture

Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC

$69.99



640pg Best of BYTE Magazine 1984 Mac Steve Jobs Altair 8800 IBM 5100 Bob Moog  picture

640pg Best of BYTE Magazine 1984 Mac Steve Jobs Altair 8800 IBM 5100 Bob Moog

$85.00



Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair

$69.99



1979 Microprocessor Projects Altair 8800 Intel 8080 KIM-1 COSMAC Elf SWTPC 6800 picture

1979 Microprocessor Projects Altair 8800 Intel 8080 KIM-1 COSMAC Elf SWTPC 6800

$59.99



S-100 Industrial Micro Systems 8K Static Ram (IMS, Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Industrial Micro Systems 8K Static Ram (IMS, Altair, IMSAI)

$69.95



Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board) picture

Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board)

$40.00



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute picture

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute

$99.00