Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Extremely slow internet speed using Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1

    Extremely slow internet speed using Knoppix

    Hi!

    I have a cable connection 256kbps/128kbps. It works perfectly under windows but with Knoppix it is dead slow, Knoppix configures the connection well. It is configured through the ethernet interface but the highest speed I have ever get is 256 bytes/sec!! and then it just keeps dropping from there, till it dies.

    Any suggestions how I can fix this?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2

    same problem

    I had someone help me out on the IRC channel. They helped me with the settings - which I have to manually add. It looks like it connected but it was really slow. I typed in http://www.knoppix.net and it said contacting - 256kb/sec - then it would get slower than that or stop.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Try upgrade your kernel, it might solve the problem.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2
    How do I update the kernal?
    Sorry, I'm new to linux/knoppix

    I have the 3.6 CD
    I'm behind a linksys router befsr41

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    The easiest way is to use kanotix kernel:
    http://kanotix.com/files/kernel/

    The better way is to get latest kanotix:
    http://kanotix.mipooh.net/viewtopic.php?t=3144

    Which should it be...it's your call..

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    10
    I have the same problem...it wasn't always like this though...i started out with the knoppix 3.4 install and all was well. Then I installed some updates with apt-get upgrade and now my internet is SLOW! Whether it's browsing the web or using scp or ssh...it's dreadfully slow.

    What is up? I am using kernel 2.6.6. I am going to try rebooting and using 2.4 kernel to see if the kernel has anything to do with it.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    10
    I discovered what was causing my slow internet. It was a problem with the DNS lookup. If you look in /etc/resolv.conf there should be a few lines that start with 'name server'. Try adjusting the order of those to see if it makes any difference.

Similar Threads

  1. network speed is very slow
    By ortzinator in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-22-2005, 10:25 PM
  2. Knoppix 3.8, Very Slow Internet Connection
    By tp671 in forum Networking
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-07-2005, 08:15 PM
  3. Internet is very slow
    By Atuc in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-24-2005, 10:51 AM
  4. Extremely Slow
    By Shing in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-31-2005, 08:03 AM
  5. cannot access internet after changing hi-speed ISP
    By John3333 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-12-2004, 05:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03 picture

Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03

$15.00



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD  Module  10-2945-02  NEW CLAMSHELL picture

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL

$45.50



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99