Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Upgrading to 2.6 problems

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1

    Upgrading to 2.6 problems

    Hi,
    I'm new to Linux so please be patient with me.
    I installed knoppix 3.3 onto my hard drive and then using kpackage installed the 2.6.0-test4 kernel. It said to update lilo and I'm not too sure if I've done this properly.

    Code:
    image=/vmlinuz
    	label="Linux 2.6"
    	read-only
    	initrd=/initrd.img  // tried without this aswell

    /vmlinuz = /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.0-test4-1-386
    /initrd.img = /boot/initrd.img-2.6.0-test4--386

    I also set vga=normal as I had read there may be some problems other wise, also used the origional setting.

    when I ran lilo I got a warning message saying: "The boot sector and map file are on different disks" but I don't think that is my problem as I can boot into 2.4 OK.


    When I boot and choose 2.6 all I get is
    "Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel"
    and then nothing happens.

    Could I please get some help to get 2.6 running as I'm working with a device that only works under 2.6.


    Cheers
    McGiv[/code]

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    67
    If you have these linked:
    /vmlinuz = /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.0-test4-1-386
    /initrd.img = /boot/initrd.img-2.6.0-test4--386

    What do the lines in lilo that boot the other (older) kernel look like? Do they point directly to the files in /boot?

Similar Threads

  1. upgrading 3.6 - 3.7
    By mkyb14 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-16-2004, 11:03 PM
  2. Help with Upgrading KDE
    By naventus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 06:11 AM
  3. Upgrading after hdd install
    By usercsr in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-23-2004, 03:15 AM
  4. Upgrading
    By Ander in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-11-2004, 01:49 AM
  5. UPGRADING KNOPPIX 3.1 to 3.2
    By sgk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-17-2003, 08:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP PROLIANT  TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM picture

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM

$195.00



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$164.97



SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$299.99



Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3 picture

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3

$219.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$187.50