Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Newboy needs boot help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5

    Newboy needs boot help

    Hi all,

    I'm a new Knoppix user looking to learn Linux and Debian in particular, but have hit problems early on - I'm running a standard Win2k box, with a single hard disk with 4 partitions, but when trying to boot Knoppix 3.2 from CDROM, after the splash screen I get the following errors:

    PCI: device 00:0f has an unknown header type 7, ignoring

    Then 8 lines of:
    ide-scsi:hdd:unsupported command in request queue (0) x8

    Then:
    ldm_validate_partition_table(): Disk read failed

    Followed by a few more lines of 'unsupported command...'.

    Finally I get a welcome message and a 'looking for CDRom in /dev/scd0' followed by a few other locations, which eventually fails saying 'could not find Knoppix filesystem'.

    Clearly it's booting the CDROM OK, but is there some config I need to set in my BIOS to enable it Knoppix to see the CDROM properly?

    I've also tried booting with the noscsi and failsafe options without success

    Any help much appreciated

    Leo

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Newboy needs boot help

    --The "unsupported command in request q" usually appears if you have an IDE Zip drive. No big deal. However, you should download the latest version (2003-09-24 as of this writing.)

    Bittorrent link is here: http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de:6969/

    Quote Originally Posted by raceoddity
    Hi all,

    I'm a new Knoppix user looking to learn Linux and Debian in particular, but have hit problems early on - I'm running a standard Win2k box, with a single hard disk with 4 partitions, but when trying to boot Knoppix 3.2 from CDROM, after the splash screen I get the following errors:

    PCI: device 00:0f has an unknown header type 7, ignoring

    Then 8 lines of:
    ide-scsi:hdd:unsupported command in request queue (0) x8

    Then:
    ldm_validate_partition_table(): Disk read failed

    Followed by a few more lines of 'unsupported command...'.

    Finally I get a welcome message and a 'looking for CDRom in /dev/scd0' followed by a few other locations, which eventually fails saying 'could not find Knoppix filesystem'.

    Clearly it's booting the CDROM OK, but is there some config I need to set in my BIOS to enable it Knoppix to see the CDROM properly?

    I've also tried booting with the noscsi and failsafe options without success

    Any help much appreciated

    Leo

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5
    Many thanks Dave, 3.3 seems to work for me - although I notice others are still seeing this 'could not find filesystem' issue with the latest version

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot of 3 VIntage  Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS picture

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS

$7.00



Apple iic A2S4000 vintage computer picture

Apple iic A2S4000 vintage computer

$200.00



ORIGINAL PACKAGING  Apple IIe Vintage Home Computer Classic Apple IIe Model picture

ORIGINAL PACKAGING Apple IIe Vintage Home Computer Classic Apple IIe Model

$899.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh LC II — Recapped, Restored & Working — System 7.1, 80MB picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh LC II — Recapped, Restored & Working — System 7.1, 80MB

$159.00



Vintage Apple Newton MessagePad 130 PDA - Working, Clean + Batteries & Extras picture

Vintage Apple Newton MessagePad 130 PDA - Working, Clean + Batteries & Extras

$149.99



Vintage Apple USB Mouse M4848 Bondi Blue iMac G3 Hockey Puck - Tested Working picture

Vintage Apple USB Mouse M4848 Bondi Blue iMac G3 Hockey Puck - Tested Working

$22.99



Macintosh Keyboard and Mouse Vintage Apple SE 30 Classic M0487 M2706 II picture

Macintosh Keyboard and Mouse Vintage Apple SE 30 Classic M0487 M2706 II

$60.00



VINTAGE APPLE II PLUS VIDEX ENHANCER II MODIFIED KEYBOARD OVERLAY MICROSCI picture

VINTAGE APPLE II PLUS VIDEX ENHANCER II MODIFIED KEYBOARD OVERLAY MICROSCI

$200.00



Apple cloth fabric banner iBook tangerine orange New Old Stock Vintage picture

Apple cloth fabric banner iBook tangerine orange New Old Stock Vintage

$99.00



Vintage 1988 Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Computer Keyboard WORKING See Video picture

Vintage 1988 Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Computer Keyboard WORKING See Video

$225.00