Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Cleaning up

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4

    Cleaning up

    Hi,

    I am a happy Knoppix/Debian user for over 5 months now, but there is one little thing that I'm not so very happy with.
    Untill recently I did not know of the --purge option for apt-get, and since I've cleaned up my Knoppix HD install (removed alot of packages I didn't use) there are loads of configuration files in /etc/.
    Does anyone know of a solution to solve this? I would really like to clean up my system..

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Cleaning up

    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy-G
    Hi,

    I am a happy Knoppix/Debian user for over 5 months now, but there is one little thing that I'm not so very happy with.
    Untill recently I did not know of the --purge option for apt-get, and since I've cleaned up my Knoppix HD install (removed alot of packages I didn't use) there are loads of configuration files in /etc/.
    Does anyone know of a solution to solve this? I would really like to clean up my system..
    If you know for certain that you are not going to re-install the application you can remove it's configurations files but if you ever re-install the application the configuration files will not be re-created the system will still think they are installed. It would probably be best if you are going to delete to move the files to a temporary directory to make sure that nothing else depends on them then after a while if things go well then delete them or use tar and compress them up to save space in case you ever re-install an app or find you need one of the files.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4
    I've been thinking about that too, but it does not seem the best solution :/
    I was kind of hoping for a apt-get (or dpkg) --purge-all-orphan-configfiles kind of thing

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18
    Just do 'dpkg --purge packagename' to clean everything including configuration files.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4
    But that would take an awful lot of time, plus, I don't remember all of the packages that have been installed
    Is there a list somewhere on my system with all the packages I ever had maybe? Then I could write a script that compares that list with the packages that I have at the moment, and do a dpkg --purge if it's not there anymore..

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    Disclaimer - I haven't done this before... but grab the original CD that you used to install from, and compare the packages.txt with the results of ' dpkg -l '.

    ' dpkg -l >curpkgs.txt '
    ' diff packages.txt curpkgs.txt '

    --But seriously, config files don't take up a whole lot of space - especially with reiserfs and the default mount option (tail.)

    --The other options I have both involve a lot of work, and should really only be done if you're really worried about these config files being on there from a security perspective, or (like me) you just want to feel good about how clean your system is.

    0. BACKUP /etc. ' tar czvf ~/etc-backup.tgz /etc '

    1. Fire up ' mc ' and go thru /etc file by file, deleting things that you know aren't installed anymore. However, this requires a thorough knowledge of Linux in general.

    =====

    Option 2:

    o Backup critical files - CHANGE SCRIPT AS NECESSARY FOR YOUR SYSTEM ; I have an entry in fstab for /mnt/zippy as a 100-MB Zip IDE internal drive. - #BEGIN bkpcrit
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    # Backup critical files (hopefully)
    
    dest='/mnt/zippy'
    mount $dest
    
    ##[ -e "$dest/NOTHERE" ] && echo "$dest NOT MOUNTED" && exit 99
    
    # "If" checking for NOTHERE file...
    
    dest=$dest'/linux-p233-knoppix32'
    echo $dest = PK
    read
    
    mkdir $dest
    
    # Copy this bkp script to zippy
    cp $0 $dest
    cp ~/localinfo.dat $dest
    
    dpkg --get-selections > ~/dpkg-selections.txt
    ## To get your currently installed packages. Once you re-install then:
    # dpkg --set-selections < dpkg-selections.txt
    ## To restore the saved selections to the package system.
    #
    ## Then
    # dselect update
    ## To update the database and
    # apt-get dselect-upgrade
    ## To perform an upgrade using the the restored packages list.
    
    time {
    tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-ETC-debian.tar.gz /etc
    tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-DEV-debian.tar.gz /dev
    tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-rootbin-debian.tar.gz /root
    tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-davesrc-debian.tar.gz /home/dave/src
    tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-davebin-debian.tar.gz /home/dave/bin
    tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-usr-local-debian.tar.gz /usr/local
    tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-var-dpkg-status.tar.gz /var/lib/dpkg
    tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-var-dpkg-backups.tar.gz /var/backups
    # Dotfiles
    cd /root
    tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-root-dotfiles--restore-locally.tar.gz .[^.]*
    cd /home/dave
    tar cpvzf $dest/bkp-dave-dotfiles--restore-locally.tar.gz .[^.]*
    }
    
    ls $dest -al
    df $dest
    exit
    o Backup entire system to a separate partition that won't be overwritten by a reinstall - #BEGIN bkpsys
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    
    mount /dev/hda12 /mnt/extra
    cd /mnt/extra/
    mkdir bkps
    cd bkps/
    
    ls -l
    
    bkpfname='hdb3-knoppix-32-intermediate-mostcfg-20030505'
    
    dpkg -l >~/DEBInstalled.list
    
    # XXX BACKUP DEB CACHE BEFORE RUNNING $0!!
    #apt-get clean
    
    time updatedb
    
    time tar \
      --exclude=/mnt/* --exclude=/proc \
      --exclude=/cdrom --exclude=/floppy \
      --exclude=/.journal --exclude=/lost+found \
      -cvf - / | \
       gzip -9cv >$bkpfname.tar.gz
    
    ls -l
    o Now, reinstall latest Knoppix version. When done, **modify for your personal system** and then use the following script to recover necessary files from the backup: #BEGIN migratcrit
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    
    # BACKUP ORIG ETC 1ST BEFORE RUNNING THIS!!
    
    usetar=~/p233-etc.tar.gz
    
    cd /
    
    tar xzvf $usetar \
      etc/apt/sources.list \
      etc/init.d/boot.local etc/rc5.d/S98bootlocal \
      etc/init.d/console-screen.sh \
      etc/ftpusers etc/inittab etc/inputrc etc/issue \
      etc/login.defs etc/profile.local etc/proftpd.conf etc/securetty \
      etc/squid etc/squid.conf \
      etc/ssh/sshd_config etc/sudoers etc/syslog.conf etc/timezone
    
    #        - DID NOT migrate: (mostly due to security)
    #         /etc/ppp/* , /etc/hosts, /etc/inetd.conf, /etc/issue,
    #         /etc/resolv.conf, wvdial.conf.
    
    # console-screen.sh - fix screen font
    # inetd.conf ?
    # issue - for security
    --THEN, go thru and start deleting packages you don't need, this time with --purge. See this thread ( http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...urgedebs#21452 ) for another script that you can modify for personal use. (Notice it already has the --purge included.) I use this script for fresh installs, really helps to get the system where I want it quickly.

    --And now, a final word of advice. Start logging *EVERY SINGLE CHANGE* that you make to your system as root. You're a sysadmin, after all. If you delete/add a package outside of apt-get upgrade, TRACK IT. If you're really paranoid, write a script frontend to apt-get that logs all your parameters. (In fact, I should do this myself.) If you change a config file, write down what it was, and why. I do this with a file, /root/localinfo.dat that goes in the critical backup. This can help when something goes wrong, or you need to recreate what you did on another install.

    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy-G
    But that would take an awful lot of time, plus, I don't remember all of the packages that have been installed
    Is there a list somewhere on my system with all the packages I ever had maybe? Then I could write a script that compares that list with the packages that I have at the moment, and do a dpkg --purge if it's not there anymore..

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4
    That looks like a nice & clean way to do it, I'll try it for sure, thank you

Similar Threads

  1. cleaning up the root directory
    By krazynesphreak in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 06:55 PM
  2. Cleaning Up
    By kurohyou in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 06:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



HP PROLIANT  TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM picture

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM

$195.00



Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3 picture

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3

$219.99



SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$299.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99