Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Newbie (How do I install Programs?)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1

    Newbie (How do I install Programs?)

    Hi all. I am a newbie here so this is probably a super basic question.

    I installed Knoppix 3.3 to my hard drive. I downloaded a few programs but I dont know how to install them. I unzipped the tar.gz files and I go the dir and there is and install.sh file, but it wont run.

    Is there a basic way to install programs on here?
    Any help would be appreciated.

    thanks
    JKL

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    7
    Since knoppix is based on Debian, you can use apt-get:
    http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/sys...get-intro.html
    Since the normal interface is not so easy to use (but once you know it, very fast), I recommend you to install synaptic:
    open a konsole, type "su' to become root, and then type 'apt-get install synaptic' (if you get errors, you may try to type 'apt-get update' first).
    afterwards you can run synaptic by just typing 'synaptic'.
    A good guide about synaptic is:
    http://articles.linmagau.org/modules...tid=389&page=1
    It's a pretty easy program to install almost all other programs.

Similar Threads

  1. how to install programs
    By dominican2589 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-12-2005, 07:30 AM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-10-2005, 06:01 PM
  3. Install & Keep Programs
    By MikePerson in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 09:50 PM
  4. Install programs
    By adamherb in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 07:02 PM
  5. What programs does Knoppix come with after a hd install?
    By Zero_1984 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-08-2004, 07:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP

CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP "Lot of 4” SFP-10G-SR

$47.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03 picture

Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03

$15.00



Neterion X3110 10GbE Server Adapter picture

Neterion X3110 10GbE Server Adapter

$29.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99