Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: refresh rate and resolution all screwed up

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    14

    refresh rate and resolution all screwed up

    when i installed knoppix it ran in 1024x768@60Hz, or at least something close to that, and know i want to run it in 1024x768@85Hz, but what i get when i try to use kXconfig i get something like 640x480@60Hz, even knowing that i selected 1024x768@85Hz, and rebooted the machene. does any one know what is going on? how do i set the both of them?

    also some specs, i have a P III @701 MHz ,256 mb of sdram, a NEC multisync75 monotor, and an ATI Radeo 9700 pro (AGP).

    and one more thing, which driver do i use for the graphics card (there is like four of them)?

    ith am a fairly advanced windowz user but when it come to linux i am lost but i want to learn it because the more i use Windowz, the more i hate it.

    Cheers,
    jc01

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Does knoppix run your video OK if you boot from a cd?

    Check out the boot parameter for refresh rate and play around with it, once you get your screen resolution and refresh rate the way you want it mount your hd read/write and save the created /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file to your hd and then boot your hd install.

    That is the easiest way to "fix" your video with knoppix, the "pure" debian way is to run this command:
    dpkg-reconfigure -pmedium xserver-xfree86
    and answer all of the prompts, but you'll have to know what all of your hardware needs for devices and modules.

    Probably google for:
    xfree86 ati radeon 9700
    to see what module to use.

    Also maybe check out this page:
    http://www.ati.com/support/faq/linux.html

    HTH

    ~rock

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6
    I see you're a gui type of person.

    anyway. try kconfig, in peripherals
    afterwards restart x

    then you should get what you want
    g'luck

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    14
    RockMumbles yes it does run fine from a cd, however it just does not take full advantage of my graphics card. i am first going to try the unix command option
    boot
    thanks both of you i hope this works

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    14
    i typed in this command

    dpkg-reconfigure -pmedium xserver-xfree86

    i went through all the prompts and this is what i got at the very end

    dexconf: cannot generate configuration file;
    xserver-xfree86/config/device/identifier not set. Aborting. Reconfigure the X
    server with "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" to correct this problem.
    Unable to write X server configuration file.

    why is it not able to write the file?

    i restarted and it is in 1024X768 (i think)but it is still is in 60 Hz refresh rate what goin on?



  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    when you boot up on cd are you using the xvrefresh boot-parameter?

    knoppix xvrefresh=85

    plus any additional boot-parameters needed for your system?

    if so and it works OK, then mount your hd read/write and make a backup copy of your existing XF86Config-4 file (in /etc/X11) and then copy the newly created /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file to your hd and put it in mountpoint/etc/X11

    then you should be set to go, as far as the dpkg-reconfigure command, are you running that booted from your hd install as root?

    ~rock

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    1
    Hi,

    I have done a HD install of Knoppix on an old Sharp PC-9820-T notebook. When I run Knoppix from the CD, my video configuration is perfect (specifically 1024x768 dpi). However, when I boot from the HDD, I find I have an awful, blocky 640x420 resolution.

    I tried running the kXConfig tool and changing the screen resolution to 1024x768. This did nothing until I also changed the Virtual Desktop setting. Then I found my X screen was scrambled after restarting.

    I rebooted from the CD and tried the advice given earlier in this thread - copying /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 over the top of /hda1/etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

    While I was there (booted from the CD), I took a look at the KXConfig settings. Mysteriously, the screen configuration there was specified as 640x480, though I know that the this was not the resolution being used (based on what I saw and the Info Center. This particular notebook has an awful blocky display in 640x480 and a very smooth, attractive display in 1024 x 768. When booting from the CD, I get the latter.

    Anyway, after rebooting from the HD, at least I don't have a scrambled display, however, I'm back to the awful, blocky 640x480 mode.

    How do I find out what display resolution settings are being used in CD-boot mode and then transfer those settings to my HD boot configuration?

    Cheers,

Similar Threads

  1. Refresh Rate
    By rehorne in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-13-2004, 09:41 AM
  2. refresh rate
    By jeanthibca in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2004, 02:33 PM
  3. Install and Refresh rate screwed up
    By DragonDon in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 02:10 PM
  4. refresh rate
    By Zibar in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-20-2003, 08:04 PM
  5. Refresh Rate
    By bateto_007 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-23-2003, 06:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Lot of 5x SFP-10G-LR CISCO 10-2457-02 10GBASE-LR SFP+ Transceiver picture

Lot of 5x SFP-10G-LR CISCO 10-2457-02 10GBASE-LR SFP+ Transceiver

$75.00



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99



Cisco Catalyst WS-C3650-12X48UQ-L 48 Port UPOE 4x 10G SFP+ Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C3650-12X48UQ-L 48 Port UPOE 4x 10G SFP+ Switch

$175.00