Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Boot sector

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3

    Boot sector

    Hi,

    I installed Knoppix from CD to my harddisk with "yes" for Lilo.
    After I finished the installation and I wanted to boot, I got the message:
    There is no platform on the disk.
    How Can I repair the bootsector?

    Djordie

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    Repair to what? As since the bootsector is not backuped (afaik)...

    If you run any MS-DOS based system (Win3.x, Win9x, WinME) you can restore the MBR by booting to DOS and endter "fdisk /mbr"

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3

    Bootsector

    Hi,

    The message I got was: there is no operating system.
    But Linux is still on my hard disk.
    How must I make it bootable?

    Thanks

    Djordie

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Do you only have linux on your hd?

    If so where did you put lilo? In your partition or in your mbr?

    If you don't have windows or another OS on your hd you must put lilo on your mbr.

    Did you make a boot floppy?

    ~rock

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3
    I have only knoppix on the HD.
    There has not been any choice where to put LILO, THe only question was: do you want to install LILO and I said "yes"
    I have a boot floppy, but when I use that, half way the start the system stops.
    Any idea?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    202
    Search in this Forum for chroot lilo
    Option Search for all terms


    This is a resume

    1. Bott of Knoppix CD
    2. mount your HD knoppix partition
    3. Open root shell and type : chroot /mnt/hda1 <enter>
    4. Type lilo -v <enter>
    5. Reboot computer

    you may need edit /etc/lilo.conf

Similar Threads

  1. Hard disk boot sector invalid
    By NEOMinds in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-23-2004, 02:52 AM
  2. Help writing a new boot sector
    By ssnow in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-16-2003, 04:29 AM
  3. Crashed HDD - Bad sector 64 - Please help!
    By AndyŠ in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-06-2003, 09:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver

$30.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HPE 10GbE 2P SFP+ QL41132 OCP3 Network Adapter NIC 2 Port 10GE 10Gb 10G OCP 3 picture

HPE 10GbE 2P SFP+ QL41132 OCP3 Network Adapter NIC 2 Port 10GE 10Gb 10G OCP 3

$439.00



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99