Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: newbie: 3 questions

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    4

    newbie: 3 questions

    My dad is very protective for our computer. We got it for christmas last year and it was like 2500 dollars ( they got ripped off, they know absoulutley nothing about computers! ). So anyway I am getting tired of Windows and wanted to try out Linux. But like I said my dad won't let me partition the drive or get a new drive for it.

    So after searching I found Knoppix.

    What languages can I write in with knoppix? Does it have a C++, or Java editor/compiler?

    My system is a NTSF coded, So how would I go about saving files i do on Knoppix?

    edit----

    I just read some more of the documentation I found this:

    Q: After using KNOPPIX, my Dell computer does not start!
    A: This is an issue with the Dell BIOS. Simply pull out the power cord from your computer for a few seconds, and your computer >>>!!should!!<<< start again with.
    WHAT DO THEY MEAN BY SHOULD!?!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: newbie: 2 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Xeogears13
    My dad is very protective for our computer. We got it for christmas last year and it was like 2500 dollars ( they got ripped off, they know absoulutley nothing about computers! ). So anyway I am getting tired of Windows and wanted to try out Linux. But like I said my dad won't let me partition the drive or get a new drive for it.

    So after searching I found Knoppix.

    What languages can I write in with knoppix? Does it have a C++
    Yes gcc and g++

    Quote Originally Posted by Xeogears13
    or Java editor/compiler?
    I don't think so. But I don't code in Java so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xeogears13
    My system is a NTSF coded, So how would I go about saving files i do on Knoppix?
    Don't try and save to ntfs.

    You can use:

    floppy
    usb thumb drive
    cdrw
    ftp
    nfs
    samba

    Maybe there are other ways, but those should get you started.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    4

    Re: newbie: 2 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    You can use:

    floppy
    usb thumb drive
    cdrw
    ftp
    nfs
    samba

    Maybe there are other ways, but those should get you started.
    I'm guessing to use a CD-RW I need a second drive then the one with the knoppix disc in it, huh?

    As for FTP, you mean like upload it to a server (geocities, angelfire...) and then download it when I boot back to windows?

    whats nfs and samba?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Hi Xeogears13,

    For a safe KNOPPIX leaning system
    I would recommend the
    usb stick (pen, key chain). Even
    a small one for about $35us would
    give you a good place to keep your
    files. If you set up a boot floppy
    to run KNOPPIX and recognize your
    persistent home on the usb stick,
    you do not need to have anything
    to do with the hard drive.

    KNOPPIX works well with most computes
    but does need a good amount of memory.
    I don't know about the DELL problem.

    I have worked on a system to save
    home files onto a second CDRW but that is not
    the most convenient way to go.

    This forum discusses java:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4476#20787
    gcj-3.2 compiler is on the latest KNOPPIX disk.
    KNOPPIX also has many shell and scripting languages
    and editors.

    Best Wishes
    paradocs

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    4
    thanks

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5

    Re: newbie: 3 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Xeogears13
    Q: After using KNOPPIX, my Dell computer does not start!
    A: This is an issue with the Dell BIOS. Simply pull out the power cord from your computer for a few seconds, and your computer >>>!!should!!<<< start again with.
    WHAT DO THEY MEAN BY SHOULD!?!
    I have a dell dimension 8200, and I have had NO problem!

Similar Threads

  1. newbie questions
    By thrustan in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-09-2005, 11:05 PM
  2. Newbie with questions!
    By cabobrett in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-30-2004, 03:20 AM
  3. Newbie questions
    By d_jedi in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-21-2004, 03:34 PM
  4. 2 Newbie Questions
    By Hermes02 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-14-2004, 02:50 PM
  5. newbie questions
    By pez_king in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-01-2003, 05:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New picture

Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New

$180.00



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$33.94



HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001 picture

HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001

$14.90



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Lot of 2 For Cisco SFP-10G-X Transceiver, 10Gb SFP+ RJ45 10GBase-T 30m picture

Lot of 2 For Cisco SFP-10G-X Transceiver, 10Gb SFP+ RJ45 10GBase-T 30m

$73.99