-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: how do you make a bootdisk?
-=-Your original topic question was, and I quote: "how do you make a bootdisk?" I gave you instructions on how to re-create a syslinux bootdisk, since:
a) you already mentioned that's what you use, and
b) That's the method that I use to boot my server as well. It's much less complicated than lilo or grub, even if it is a bit slower.
--You mentioned that you made a bootdisk during the Knoppix install process. You also mentioned that you made a 'dd' copy of said disk; I have no idea why dd'ing that image file to a floppy again doesn't work for you, but nonetheless posted specific instructions on how to make another boot disk that functions exactly the same way, using tools that are already included with your install. In addition, my instructions are not necessarily specific/limited to Debian, and are applicable to any distro that you can install syslinux on.
--If all you needed was a way to boot the Knoppix CD, I would have said "dd the boot.img file from cdrom to floppy" but no, I posted instructions on how to make a bootdisk for your HD install with syslinux, as you requested.. Did you even TRY them?

Originally Posted by
lavaman094
While that knoppix tip may product a functioning boot disk, it does not answer my question.
I use debian, and I was wondering if there was a debian utility or program or command I could use to make a bookdisk.
I have already tried:
mkboot /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22
and "mindi" which I tried with both it's own kernel and my own. I used the "best configuration for lilo".
Similar Threads
-
By victorhooi in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-17-2005, 06:20 PM
-
By Alexxx in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-26-2004, 01:32 PM
-
By Nils_ in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-07-2003, 10:16 PM
-
By reecegeorge in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 08-22-2003, 07:11 AM
-
By marcelwalus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-11-2003, 09:01 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Opteron X3421 32GB DDR4 Intel X550 10GbE No HDD
$599.00

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X
$175.00

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays
$499.99

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00