thanks a lot for your full explanation.
I've made letter by letter all You wrote, and...
When I reboot my comp from HDD I installed KNOPPIX, I have only message "GRUB..." on the screen and nothing happens
When I try to install another version of KNOPPIX, even "GRUB.." message doesn't appear
What I made wrong ?
maybe the key answer is in your sentence: "Now the boot image on hda1 can be mounted" (how ?). There are my first steps in Linux/KNOPPIX etc, so I tried to be logic and I tried to use the "automount" or something like that, but no result.

Best regards

nizki

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
--You could partition the drive like so:
o hda1 = 1 cylinder (4-8MB) FAT16 (boot)
o hda2 = 701+MB FAT32 (has to be a little more than 700MB for filesystem overhead)
o hda3 = 128MB swap (type 82)
o hda4 = ext3 (rest of drive) - should be 200MB or more, for persistent home

--Then boot knoppix cd in runlevel 2 ' knoppix 2 '
o ' dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda1 ' == Clear partition
o ' dd if=/cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img of=/dev/hda1 ' == Dump boot floppy image to partition
o ' activate /dev/hda 1 ' == Boot from boot floppy image

--Poor man's install on hda2:
o ' mkdosfs -c -F 32 -v /dev/hda2 ' == Format
o ' mkdir /mnt/hda2 '
o ' mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 -onoatime,rw ' == Mount Fat32
o ' mkdir /mnt/hda2/knoppix '
o ' cp /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX /mnt/hda2/knoppix ' == Copy big knoppix file from CD to msdos partition

--Swap:
o ' mkswap -c /dev/hda3 '
o ' swapon /dev/hda3 ' == Format and turn on swap

--Persistent home setup:
o ' mkfs.ext3 -c -j -m1 -v /dev/hda4 '

--Using persistent home is beyond the scope of this document. (I've never used it.) Just search the board for it.

--Now the boot image on hda1 can be mounted, and you can modify the syslinux.cfg file for whatever cheatcodes you normally use on boot. Once the active flag is set on partition 1, it will reboot from HD into poor man's install AND you have space left over for PH. Such is the beauty of Knoppix.

Quote Originally Posted by nizki
Hi. is it possible to install Knoppix from CD to HDD 1 GB just with some software? i.e. I don't need both OpenOffice and KOffice(one of them is enuough), I don't need all those games and other stuff etc. Just system, gui and most important applications. Best regards.