-
Newbie basic advice needed
I ran Knoppix from CD for a couple of days, then installed it to HD today. My USRobotics external faxmodem was detected from CD but not from HD.
I can't find any info about installing modems, scanner, NIC and other hardware anywhere, apart from obscure commands that baffle me. Where do I type them in anyway? Coming from Windows, it's all completely different, so I need some basic help to get me started. Where can I find it?
Also: Is there anyway to make the text in KDE keep inside the scroll bars instead of having to keep scrolling right and left?
-
OK, plenty have looked but no one has replied yet. I have read all the FAQs but I still haven't been able to solve my particular problems. I have found some good helpful guides, however, that other Linux or Debian newbies will find useful:
Linux basics at: http://www.aboutdebian.com/linux.htm
The Linux Documentation Project at: http://tldp.org/docs.html[/url]
-
Hi ellen, sorry my reply isn't going to be immediately very helpful---I generally stumble my way through using advice trawled off the web plus a few books.
If you plan on hanging in there with Knoppix/Debian, and Linux in general, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. You'll probably find 'The Linux Cookbook' by Michael Stutz a goldmine of info for every day tasks, but not very relevant for behind the scenes technical stuff. Be that as it may I would thoroughly reccomend it.
'The Debian GNU/Linux Bible' by Steve Hunger could do with a new addition but still has plenty of basic technical help, while something like 'Running Linux' by Welsh, Dalheimer, & Kaufman digs a bit deeper. I'm sorry you've not had any really useful replies so far to your post, generally folks are very helpful.
Your modem problem sounds a bit unusual if it's a serial modem. USB can be problematic. If you stick with it, keep asking around, experimenting... I'm sure you'll get something sorted.
Regards, almala
-
Thanks, Almala, I'll try and get hold of the Linux Cookbook especially as I've seen it recommended elsewhere.
My serial modem problem is still not sorted. There's a thread on the Debian forum if anyone's interested:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...3&goto=newpost
I've had nothing but problems with computers so am hoping Linux will provide me with a stable system so I can use it instead of fixing it all the time. Is this possible, I wonder?!
Similar Threads
-
By tilleyrw in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-30-2005, 12:26 PM
-
By djh-world in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-15-2005, 07:08 PM
-
By swishsticks in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-17-2004, 06:08 PM
-
By WedDa in forum The Lounge
Replies: 9
Last Post: 09-19-2004, 07:18 PM
-
By rusty in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-23-2004, 05:25 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays
$499.99

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X
$175.00

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00