Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Knoppix & ACPI

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    /proc/uber-GOD
    Posts
    5

    Knoppix & ACPI

    Hey,

    I have an HP PAvilion ze5385us Laptop. I run Knoppix v 3.3 (Nov-03-03 edition) from my laptop, and various other computers. I love it, especially if I need to let someone use my laptop, and I don't want them muckng up my preferences. Plus, I use knoppix as an emergency backup OS. (I'm always updating, and I use the laptop inclass constantly.) What I'm wondering is how do I enable ACPI on the cd? I know that ACPI works great under mandrake 9.1; 9.2, and I've gotten it to work under several other Linux Distro's. Does Knoppix even have acpi? If not, is there a chance that we would get a boot option for an ACPI enabled kernel? Just curious... as It would be great if I knew what percent my battery was at (no APM on laptop)....Thanks!

    edit: Stupid Speilling errors... would you belive english is my first language? :P

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sevilla-Spain
    Posts
    3
    In order to have ACP available, you will have to recompile kernel, and apply a patch. HD Installation is required.

    You can find the patch here:
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=36832


    detailed instructions about applying a patch and recompliling at:
    http://freax.be/wiki/index.php/Insta...x9010%20laptop

    Be careful chosing the correct patch, it should be 'acpi-20030916-2.4.22.diff' for knoppix 3.3 (kernel 2.4.22)

    Good luck, and tell us whether it worked

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    /proc/uber-GOD
    Posts
    5
    Well, the whole point is to be able to run the distro off the CD. If I did do a HD install, change it, would I be able to turn it back into an iso so I can burn it?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    5
    Just remaster Knoppix. When you do , you must recompile the kernel and enable ACPI. It is actually very simple:

    Download the kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs_10.00.Custom_all.deb from http://developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix/sources/
    All you need to do is change the .config file by enabling ACPI.
    Do this by doing a "make menuconfig" enable ACPI under General Setup.
    Save your configuration and exit.
    Do a make dep; make bzImage.
    Copy your bzImage file to the /boot directory as well as into the miniroot.gz file.
    Make your appropriate links to the new kernel.
    **If you made ACPI as modules you will have to make those and install them as well.

    I have done this for my own version which also has firewire/usb support for booting from exteranl firewire/usb cdroms. So I can now boot from my Sony R505 which uses a firewire DVD/CDRW. Of course this requires a few more steps like modifiying the linuxrc file in the miniroot.gz file, etc.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1

    sony r505?

    hello r00ster, I too have a sony r505 and have jumped through all the firewire cd-rom hoops. I've got gentoo running pretty well on it right now, though I'm getting kinda tired of spending days compiling things and have been itching to try something new... would it be possible for you to send me an image of the custom knoppix CD you made? or at least give me some hints about how to make my own... I'm not at all familiar with knoppix. any help would be very much appreciated! thanks

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    france
    Posts
    2
    if anyone know where i could download knoppix image iso that boot from firewire cdrom,thanks ain advance.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96
    What is the difference between ACPI and APM?

    Does only ACPI wok with Knoppix?

    I've got APM going in my kernel, but really doesn't seem to make a difference.

    Also, how can I get output to a doc app to show what the battery life is or temp of cpu or just monitor heat issues with laptop?

    thanks

Similar Threads

  1. ACPI:BIOS age (2001) Fails cut off (2002) acpi=force
    By OP4Latino in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-27-2005, 06:27 AM
  2. [ACPI] what acpi kernel support in Knoppix ?
    By Longfield in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2005, 11:54 AM
  3. Build knoppix with apm/acpi & alsa
    By beforewisdom in forum Ideas
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 07:27 PM
  4. ACPI enabled non-SMP version of KNOPPIX 3.3 2003-11-14
    By windos_no_thanks in forum Laptops
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 08:30 PM
  5. Advice on enabling ACPI in Knoppix
    By beforewisdom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-14-2003, 07:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New picture

Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New

$200.00



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



(2) Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10G SR SFP+ Transceiver Modules 10-3105-01 - Genuine picture

(2) Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10G SR SFP+ Transceiver Modules 10-3105-01 - Genuine

$32.88



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99