Up to yesterday evening, I could access my CD-ROM with no particular troubles. Last night, I was able to snag a copy of the new desktop background from the 11-03 CD-ROM and copy it to my home directory just fine.
This morning, I tried to use the CD-ROM drive from the desktop cdrom icon, but ran into the following error:
Error - KDesktop
Unable to run the command specified. The file or directory file:/mnt/cdrom does not exist.
Logging in as root, I was able to play the CD just fine.
I had created another user, so I logged in as that user and was greeted with the error:
Error - kscd
CD-ROM read or access error (or no audio disc in drive). Please make sure you have access permissions to: /dev/cdrom
This error came up as soon as KDE loaded the desktop, with an audio CD still in the drive from having been logged in as the standard user.
So I looked in /dev/ and su'd to root, ran "chmod 777 cdrom" for good measure, and this did seem to make the CD playable through kscd, but I still get the /mnt/cdrom error when logged in as my standard user. root and the second user I created don't have a cdrom icon on the desktop.
These are all the details I've gathered so far, since I need to get off to work, but I wanted to go ahead and post my puzzlement and see if it rings any bells for anyone.
regards

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40
NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94
SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99
HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99
Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 850nm 10GBASE-SR SFP+ MMF 10-2415-03 Transceiver
$4.99
Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver
$20.70
5 x Cisco SFP-10G-LR-S 10GBASE SFP Module converter w/ Genuine Hologram 🔥New🔥
$174.99