-
how to connect two Knoppix machines
Hi,
I have two machines running Knoppix (from the CD - not HD): a laptop and a desktop. They are connected by a crossed rj45 cable and t/100 network cards. I would like to copy my entire /home directory from the laptop to the desktop. What is the easiest way to do this?
Telnet, ftp and SSH are probably not the most convenient tools, so maybe NFS?
I don't care how I do it as long as it is a KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) way :-)
Could somebody please point me in the right direction (where to find step by step instructions on how to do this - I never did this before)?
Thanks,
Andrei
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: how to connect two Knoppix machines
--I'd just use netcat. No additional services need to be started that way, and it's fast.
Desktop, as root: ' cd /home; nc -l -p 32100 |tar xvpf - ' == Start listening on port 32100
Laptop: ' cd /home; tar cpvf - Your-dir |nc -w 3 Remote-ip 32100 '
--You are aware of course that this will overwrite every file in the destination /home that has the same name. You should also double-check the ownership after the copy is done. ' id ' numbers on both machines should be the same, otherwise you have to ' chown -cvR Your-id.Your-id /home/Your-id ' on the desktop.

Originally Posted by
andrei
Hi,
I have two machines running Knoppix (from the CD - not HD): a laptop and a desktop. They are connected by a crossed rj45 cable and t/100 network cards. I would like to copy my entire /home directory from the laptop to the desktop. What is the easiest way to do this?
Telnet, ftp and SSH are probably not the most convenient tools, so maybe NFS?
I don't care how I do it as long as it is a KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) way
Could somebody please point me in the right direction (where to find step by step instructions on how to do this - I never did this before)?
Thanks,
Andrei
Similar Threads
-
By cottlestonpie in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 07-14-2004, 02:22 AM
-
By pendrag in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 5
Last Post: 06-29-2004, 08:19 AM
-
By baldyeti in forum General Support
Replies: 25
Last Post: 02-20-2004, 05:47 AM
-
By Jampa in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-14-2003, 11:48 AM
-
By handyman in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-11-2003, 08:19 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Cisco SFP-10G-LR-S Reset & Tested Lot of 2
$32.99

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 850nm 10GBASE-SR SFP+ MMF 10-2415-03 Transceiver
$4.99

Ubiquiti Unifi USW PRO AGGREGATION 28x10Gbe 4x25Gbe QSFP28 Layer 3 Switch
$700.00

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99