Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Askey USB modem detected but there is no internet connection

  1. #1
    Guest
    Guest

    Askey USB modem detected but there is no internet connection

    I have Askey USB cable modem. I use CD boot, after booting use ifconfig to check it. Everything is ok (eth0). DHPC broadcasting completes itself automatically, also it gets MAC, IP, DNS configuration. I check USB devices and see Askey modem standing there with full information.

    Why can't I access to internet?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    54
    I'm not sure but:
    - eth0 is normally your Network Interface Card and not your USB connection.
    - if you have multiple interfaces your default gateway should be set.
    To do this use the command:
    Code:
    route add default gw 10.0.0.1
    Where you have to change 10.0.0.1 for the IP-adress connected to your USB modem.

    Maybe this information helps.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    17
    ^but how to find the ip-adress of a USB-modem? It must be possible with an ethernet-modem, but a USB-one?

  4. #4
    Guest
    Just use the command
    Code:
    ifconfig
    It should show you all interfaces with their settings.

  5. #5
    Guest
    Firstly, sorry for I posted the message to wrong forum

    The modem has both ethernet and USB interfaces. I have no money left to pay for a LAN card , so I use USB one. And Knoppix says it's a network device at eth0.

    Hermanh,

    I' m going to try your suggestion, I couldn't understand it exactly though .

    Thanks everyone for now.

  6. #6
    OnLyTNT
    Guest
    Yeah, it's workin. I'm writing this lines on Knoppix connected with my USB cable modem.

    Hermanh,

    Thank you very much.

    Now, it's time to dig Linuz world

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    54
    I am glad that it's working, but it leaves me with one question: How is that interface called?

  8. #8
    Guest
    Is this my modem, oor am I doing something wrong? With 'ifconfig -a' I only find two things 'lo' and the 'eth0'. The problem is, when I use
    Code:
    route add default gw 10.0.0.1
    linux says it is not able to do that. I tried it with both of the adresses, but it's just no good.

    OnlyTNT how exactly did you get yours working?

  9. #9
    Guest
    Can you display here what exactly ifconfig is showing you?

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1
    I used root shell: k>knoppix>menu root shell command. Ifconfig shows me my IP, MAC and DNS addressess etc. (eth0 and lo - sorry I can't paste them here ). While booting, Knoppix sends DHPC broadcast and gets all info automatically.

    It's weird that Knoppix configures USB modem @eth0; in my opinion, it thinks the interface is kind of ethernet !?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Internet Connection.
    By Sance in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 10:27 PM
  2. Unable to use DSL Internet connection on 3.6
    By Teccart1 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-15-2004, 03:39 PM
  3. Internet Connection Sharing...???
    By Jwizzman in forum Networking
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-12-2004, 09:52 PM
  4. Can't setup internet connection - Please help!
    By LinuxGozer in forum Networking
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 05:50 PM
  5. INTERNET CONNECTION DURING REMASTERING
    By papasi in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-25-2003, 06:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10g Transceivers ( 5 Pack ) picture

Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10g Transceivers ( 5 Pack )

$70.00



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Penguin Computing Arctica 4806XP 48-Port 10G SFP+ 6x 40G QSFP+ Switch Dual PSU picture

Penguin Computing Arctica 4806XP 48-Port 10G SFP+ 6x 40G QSFP+ Switch Dual PSU

$385.00