I posted about this in the Hardware board, but perhaps it would be better here in networking:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=27203
DHCP doesn't seem to initialize properly most of the time. Out of a dozen or so raw bootups, it only worked one time -- fortunately, I saved the config that one time, so I can get out to the network if I "cheat" and use the saved config.
To add to the saga, my roommate has an older Celeron box, and it refuses to get on the network also.
My setup is an Asus P5A with K6-2/400 and a 3Com 3C905B networking card.
His is some unknown motherboard, a Celeron 600, and an Intel 10/100 card from about three years ago.
We have been booting a Knoppix 3.3 11-03-2003 CD. Other than the networking, it seems fine.
Please see the other thread for more details on my networking woes:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=27203
Many thanks!

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99
Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00
Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40
Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94
HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99
Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03
$15.00
Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99
Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver
$30.00