Thanks for the quick response. I never used 'knoppix-installer' but I just read two another posts and both do confirm your description. If you used it seven times and worked for you, I am confident it will work for me too. Thanks again.
Regards
Actually, with 'knoppix-installer' you get two choices: 'Debian Style' and 'Knoppix Style' -- Debian style being the hard disk install and Knoppix style being an installation that runs like the live-CD.
I have never tried knx-hdinstall but have used knoppix-installer around seven times now. It is by far (to me, at least) the easiest and most reliable Linux installation I have ever experienced![]()
Thanks for the quick response. I never used 'knoppix-installer' but I just read two another posts and both do confirm your description. If you used it seven times and worked for you, I am confident it will work for me too. Thanks again.
Regards
well, knoppix-installer was made to replace knx-hdinstall (which is no longer mantained). It offers the same options, and more. So there is no real reason to use knx-hdinstall...
I had used knx-hdinstall back in 3.2, and that's how I got my current Knoppix/Debian setup.
I remember that there was something that I found confusing about it (but I can't put my finger on it).It also didn't give me the choice of filesystem I wanted to use -- just ext3.
my question...
I know back in the knx-hdinstall days you could use teh flag alsa to install alsa as opposed to OSS.
Is there such an option with the new installer? I'm also wondering if/how this will be rewritten once the 2.6 kernel becomes stable which has alsa support built into it (seeing how OSS is becoming depreciated)
Ulaire Smiley,
At what point does it lock up? Does it load and then fail when you try and run an application, or does it fail when it's starting up?

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99
IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00
IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99
IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30
IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00
IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99
DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5315Y 8 CORE PROCESSOR 3.2 GHZ SRKXR
$1100.00