Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Silent Computer

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    13

    Silent Computer

    I successfully assembled a 100% silent PC based on an EPIA mini-itx motherboard an Knoppix. It was very easy, and a few details are at http://www.jab.org/www/nomovingparts.html I'm curious if others are also using the Knoppix toram feature to create silent computers?

    knoppix@ttyp3[knoppix]$ uptime
    19:20:05 up 6 days, 18:54, 0 users, load average: 0.15, 0.27, 0.26

    knoppix@ttyp3[knoppix]$ df
    Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/root 2471 1678 793 68% /
    /dev/cdrom 819200 713808 105392 88% /cdrom
    /dev/cloop 1871314 1871314 0 100% /KNOPPIX
    /dev/shm 819200 713808 105392 88% /cdrom2
    /ramdisk 776020 16164 759856 3% /ramdisk
    /dev/sda1 126430 3140 123290 3% /mnt/sda1

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Welcome jbreiden,

    Yes the Via mini-itx is cool for a number of reasons.
    I have the DC Power Board with 90W AC Adapter but
    I do have a small fan over the processor and for the
    case -- so I am not totally silent but still very nice compared
    to some of the fire breathing monster I've had in the past.

    My power board is 12 volts DC -- so I have always wanted
    to go to battery power. But everyone has recommended an
    inverter -- and I have been to chicken to disregard the
    advice. Perhaps when my system gets a little older and
    I need an excuse for a new one I will hook it up directly
    to a storage battery.

    I have a KNOPPIX project you may wish to try. It is not
    standard and not meant for the high level user. I burn my
    /home/knoppix to a CDRW each time before powering down
    -- and the script automatically restore at boot up. I use
    no hard dirve.
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/BurnHome

    Check out all the interesting re-masters and uses
    of KNOPPIX.

    Best Wishes
    paradocs

Similar Threads

  1. Help w/ new computer and 3.4
    By Kram in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-25-2004, 03:04 AM
  2. silent boot (no text at all during boot)
    By probono in forum Ideas
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-11-2004, 09:58 AM
  3. silent Knoppix
    By CrashedAgain in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-24-2004, 03:46 PM
  4. silent startup of Knoppix live cd??
    By MutantsForNukes in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2004, 02:52 AM
  5. OpenOffice silent death / Knoppix from hdd
    By pierre-m in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-23-2003, 07:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$225.61



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$224.72



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000

$99.95



Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB picture

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB

$98.95



IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on

$500.00