-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
baldyeti
From what I've been (un)able to find, they're both problematic under
linux. Has anyone good/bad experience here with getting the integrated
devices of either of these boards to operate with knoppix/debian?
My understanding is that for nforce2-based mainboards, non-oss drivers are
available from nvidia. Is this correct ? Anything comparable for Via?
Thanks for all shared info.
I'm really trying to avoid the VIA chipset all together. I know of several people that seem to have no troubles with them but just the same......
Here are the nvidia drivers:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux.html
-
Senior Member
registered user
If you want something really cheap, you can get the PCChips Syntax with KT266 and USB2 for less than £20 from Ebuyer. I have not seen any bad reviews about this board - unusually for PCC, everything seems to work out-of-the-box and is well-behaved. Not cutting-edge, but then, neither is your prospective cpu.
OG.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
oldgeezer
you can get the PCChips Syntax with KT266 and USB2 for less than £20 from Ebuyer
Looks quite interesting indeed; have you actually tried that one with a knoppix CD? Did the sound/ethernet/usb2 work?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Sorry - no! Entirely happy with my earlier K7S5As, vide supra, whose idiosyncrasies I find totally manageable. I have no USB2 devices.
OG.
-
I have been using an ECS K7S5A for over a year now. I have installed Redhat, Mandrake and Knoppix on them with no problems. Onboard sound, Lan, USB, everything works fine. I have 1700XP cpu, have used 100, 133 AND DDr 2700 memory. Presently 786 meg ram, and GForce 3 vc. I like them so well, I used same boards in multiple computers at my bro-in-laws dental practice. Cheap AND reliable. I have ran mine as a server around the clock for weeks on end for DeltaForce games 3 and LW, simultaneously surfing ,etc with no problems. I use this site in Houston for all my computer parts, cheap and reliable www.neobox.ws
just my 2.3 cents worth.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I went with the Asus A7N266-VM/AA nForce220D from linuxvoodoo for $75 shipped. It's a uATX (9.6" x 9.6") form factor so it should fit in a fairly small case.
My XP2200 just arrived today from compubuzz- $60 shipped.
Brand new Coolermaster hsf combo from a friend.- $10
Used atx case from a lazy, twinkie binging, cash-strapped teenager- $10
450W power supply w/ dual fans - $15 shipped.
1 40G Seagate - $25
Now all i need to get is the ram.
2 x 512M sticks Micron pc2100 DDR.- $150 shipped.
That's $345.
Let's also add that I sold two older machines for $100 so my out-of-pocket was even lower.
Add my NEC 1100a dvd+rw drive and one of 25 floppy drives I have lying around to this baby and for short money I've got a really cheap pc that oughtta do just fine for a long while to come. HP, Dell, Gateway- you can keep your junk thank you. 
I think I need to get the Asus ipanel for $35 shipped too. well- we'll see......
-
Senior Member
registered user
That's robbery! M/b - $30max, mod. D1.6 (clocked=same as XP2200) - $40, mem. (too much?) - $75. Cheaper to buy mail order from Asia or Europe - even with postal costs.
OG.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Are you sure you're not thinking in pounds instead of dollars?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Nope! Used a multiplier of 1.7.
OG.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
oldgeezer
That's robbery! M/b - $30max, mod. D1.6
Let's keep in mind that this board has everything onboard- evrything. I don't need to buy a single card and I get nvidia video and sound.
(clocked=same as XP2200) - $40, mem. (too much?) - $75. Cheaper to buy mail order from Asia or Europe - even with postal costs.
OG.
Sure it's cheaper to get cheap RAM but I have already gotten some good stuff and I'm not about to go el-cheapo on the RAM.
Similar Threads
-
By billyboy in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-22-2005, 08:01 PM
-
By Knobody in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-25-2004, 08:38 PM
-
By RexBeans Explosion in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-02-2004, 01:10 AM
-
By freeballer in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-25-2003, 04:21 PM
-
By pinochet in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 9
Last Post: 06-26-2003, 05:43 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Supermicro Super Server 1029U-TN10RT Dual Xeon Silver 4210 - 10-Bay NVMe Rack
$500.00

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD
$249.99

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM
$289.99

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X
$175.00

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC
$750.00

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro CSE-826 2U Server Chassis W/X10DRH-C 2x E5-2620 V3 128GB RAM 2x 1280W
$499.99

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter
$225.00

POGO ATLAS 1102 Server 32 Gb RAM 4TB Storage 2x2TB HDD’s (Tested-Working) No OS
$179.85